rejetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rejetting

I'm going to put pods on and need a good starting point for rejetting. Right now everthing is stock including exhaust. I'm only changing to pods for now. Where do I need to start with jetting?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Sorry ,what bike have you got!Some one here may have done this to the same model.

Comment

1978 GS750E

Comment

Well your way ahead of me robinjo.

Comment

He's right '78 750E.

Comment

What brand of pod filters? I recommend K&N.
            The K&N's cost more but with proper care, last forever.
            They also flow better and you'll have a little more power.
            If you decide to go with a quality 4-1 pipe later, you'll need a jet kit and the jet kits are designed with K&N filters in mind, not Emgo's or some other cheap brand. You'll get more out of the K&N's and the re-jet will generally be easier to sort out.
            Your time is important too. I would wait for a pipe and avoid re-jetting twice. The possible headaches are not worth the money you try to save.
            But to answer your question, if using cheaper pods only, I would try:
            112.5 or 115 mains (stock is 102.5), raise the jet needle 1 1/2 positions (stock is position 3), which means place the jet needle e-clip in the bottom position (5th) and place a jetting spacer directly on top the e-clip. A jetting spacer provides a 1/2 position change and is .022" thick. You may want to try placing the e-clip in the bottom position with NO jetting spacer for a 1/2 position richer. I'm guessing position "4 1/2" though. Do what the plugs/performance tell you at 1/3 throttle for the needle, full throttle for the mains.
            For the pilot fuel screws, I'd turn them out 1/4 to 1/2 turn additional from where they are. The side air screws must be set using the highest idle method. Also, remove the two floatbowl vent lines and leave the nipples open to avoid fuel starvation. Then these VM carbs MUST be vacuum synched. The synch is an important part of jetting. And every time you disturb the jet needles they must be re-synched. Check ignition timing and valve clearances before synching.
            If you have K&N pods, try a 117.5 main and place the needle e-clip in the bottom position. An additional 1/4 turn on the pilot fuel screws too.
            These are just guesses. I still recommend a quality pipe and K&N's with a jet kit. Good luck.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X