Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever tried this flowchart from stator papers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever tried this flowchart from stator papers?

Problems with the chart. (on a gs550) it says to "connect the red multimeter lead to the red output wire of the RR." However, it does not say to if you should disconnect the plug or not. Also it says to connect the black multimeter lead to thebattery (+). Does that mean to the positive lead of the battery? And..... it says to check the positive lead of thte RR to the battery. Well, my RR does not connect directly to the battery. It connects to a plug that goes "eleswhere". Lastly.... (is this good or what?!) my manual says that the regulator and rectifier are one in the same on this bike. But my regulator says "regulator" and does not say anything about rectifier. So, what the heck is going on here? I'm only on the third block down and already I'm stuck.
    By the way, is the GS the motorcycle equivalent of the old Dodge Dart/Plymouth scamp? Great engine that will never die but the rest of the car was a piece of junk. Hmmmmmm......

more info. I tried it both ways. connected the black test lead to the positive on the battery and the red output lead both disconnected and connected. Got voltage readings of -14, -6 and -0 and every voltage inbetween changing about every 1/2 second or so. Where's this 0.2v that the flowchart is talking about?

Comment

looks like you have abad R/R then... what was the voltage of the battery at 2500 rpms? What was the voltage of the battery at 5k rpm?

The GS is actually a very stout motorcycle. Except for an issure where the hall effect sensor on my signal generator went out (had a spare one but can be bought for 19$) I have not had another issue on the bike that couldn't be worked out easily in a few minutes. I'll say that 9/10'ths of the issues I've has to do with the previous owner. The other 1/10th I've caused myself.

Comment

Never got over 12 and it didn't seem like it went up much with rpms.
        checked the three leads from the alternator/stator. Got 80+ volts at 5500 rpm and around 90 ac over 6k on each connection. I checked the ground on the RR and the negative ground on the battery. With a full charge I went for a 20 mile ride and the battery was too weak to kick over the starter when I got back. Wish I could understand the flowchart on how to check the RR but I got voltage jumping all over the place.
        Hate to spend $150 on a new RR if that is not the problem. And with no moving parts what would make this thing just "go" with no warning after 25 years?

Comment

If you're getting 80-90 volts on your stator, then the RR is the culprit. I can't imagine that you are losing 2+ volts on bad or corroded connections, unless they are all oozing white flaky powder.

-J
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
          X