Looking for an oil cooler for an 83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an oil cooler for an 83 GS1100E

I would like to install an external cooler; I have read that the engine is configured to support one. If so, does anyone have a source that I could go to?
    When I rode in the Smokies, the oil temp gauge got really high, near the top, hence the concern.
    Thanks, kk

I made one a couple of years ago aND TOOK IT OFF--i THINK IF YOU USE SYNTHETIC OIL ON ONE OF THOSE TRIPS YOU WILL GET THE RESULTS YOU WANT--AN OIL COOLER CAN SOMETIMES AND UNDER SOME CONDITIONS KEEP THE OIL FROM GETTING HOT ENOUGH TO BURN OFF VAPOR. eSPECIALLY IN COLDER CLIMATES.
    You need to change the filter cover if you dont get a kit that installs at the oil pressure T---Frank and Hap have found thermostats to run with thier oil coolers. i installed a valve but it was a pain.
    Also i think you may need oil pump gears from an older gs750 because the cooler will take volume from the top end which already is marginal.

i always mess up with the cap key--sorry

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure that I understand your response:
      Use synthetic - I do. Currently Penzoil, but open to suggestions.
      Not sure what the filter cover means; sorry for my ignorance. I would prefer to use a thermostat type system, so oil is kept at the correct temp.
      The gears would be a deal breaker; I do not wish to open up the engine at this time. And I do not wish to starve the top end of oil; that would defeat the purpose.
      Perhaps I worry too much? Not sure, this is the first bike I had with a temp gauge. The bike ran fine, it was just disconcerting to see the temp rise so much.
      kk

Comment

What I've done as well as several others here has been to install a cooler and oil filter plate from an 1150. The 1150 oil filter plate is designed to divert some oil to the oil ports on either side of the filter housing. the only bad thing about the 1150 cooler is that you'll need to fabricate a bracket of some sort in order to mount it to the 1100 frame. You also have the option of going with a lockhart or derale cooler but keep in mind that they're not sold new for our bikes anymore (occasionally you'll see new on ebay).

Comment

Check this.....

You could probably avoid having to fab up a bracket with this cooler....simply drill the plate & bolt it to the two tapped holes on the frame. You would need to score an 1150 oil-filter cover on ebay or elsewhere, to divert oil flow inot the cooler lines as stated above, in addition to lines/fittings (search aeroquip on ebay).

Joe D's post provides useful info. with part #'s etc.

Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
          X