new electrex on 1981 1100 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new electrex on 1981 1100 question

hi guys just got a new stator still waiting for the r/r put it in and I only get about 60 volts ac everyone is talking 70-80 is this still a problem?? the orig stator had 1 output of about 17 volts so I know it was bad any suggestions would be great!!!

Re: new electrex on 1981 1100 question

Stator output voltage is proportionate to rpm. You should have 80 volts AC at an engine rpm of 5000. Did you measure voltage at the correct rpm and did you hold the rpm steady during the voltage measurement?

If the stator is indeed only putting out 60V at 5k rpm, that is a 25% reduction in output from specs. That is not acceptable to me and I would be on the phone with the the people I purchased it from or electrex directly. Probably electrex directly.

Earl

Originally posted by dragon03
    hi guys just got a new stator still waiting for the r/r put it in and I only get about 60 volts ac everyone is talking 70-80 is this still a problem?? the orig stator had 1 output of about 17 volts so I know it was bad any suggestions would be great!!!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

That's all mine could muster as well. I suspect it's the rotors fault. On the bright side, my bike charges just fine with that AC voltage.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the input I have the new R/R on its way electrex in calgary i am in edmonton so tommorw it should be here. is there any thing special about the wiring I have heard that you need to put the blackon the reg directly to ground(mione curntly doesnt have one) and eliminate the light switch loop??and put the 3 leads from the stator directly to the new electrex??what I have right now is a green/w coming from the harness and a red/w. also the 3 new yellow outputs from the new stator any anyone kow how I shoul properly hook this up to eliminate my problems???

Comment

bump

Comment

connect the three yellow AC output stator wires directly to the 3 yellow R/R AC input wires. Connect the red R/R DC output wire directly to battery positive. Connect the black R/R negative DC output wire directly to battery negative. Forget about the original wire connections into the wiring harness, they are no longer used.

Earl

Originally posted by dragon03
            Thanks for the input I have the new R/R on its way electrex in calgary i am in edmonton so tommorw it should be here. is there any thing special about the wiring I have heard that you need to put the blackon the reg directly to ground(mione curntly doesnt have one) and eliminate the light switch loop??and put the 3 leads from the stator directly to the new electrex??what I have right now is a green/w coming from the harness and a red/w. also the 3 new yellow outputs from the new stator any anyone kow how I shoul properly hook this up to eliminate my problems???
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks a bunch should have project done tonight or tommorow let you know the results thanks alot earl have a great one

Comment

well ran fine with both new reg and stator for about 15 min the started to lose voltage disconnected and reg and found only getting about 53vac at 5krpm???? checked with electex and the are sending both out today again
                I sure hope this was a bad reg or stator any input would be graetly appreciated as i am supposed to leave on a trip friday

Comment

I'd try another multimeter. I had one that cost me a lot of money due to bad readings.

Steve

Comment

Hi Dragon, I read of your problems and i must admit, i have the same now on my gsx 1100 ef ( it's called GS1100 or GS 1150 in the States).

What i will let you know is .....check your ground connection(s). It's extremely important. Clean it as good as you can and do the same, like above mentioned, with the fuse box and the connection of your R/R. What i did is cleaning all my connections and wiring with cleaner and sometimes with fine sandpaper.

I think your problem is not the r/r or the stator but just bad connection(s) in your wiring.

Comment

Electrex USA or now known as electro-sport says they dont carry a stator for a 79 GS750. What to do now, and where is the best place to get a new stator and RR... actually it shows they still have the RR for it but I emailed them and they say dice for a 79GS750.

Comment

you can opt to rewind the stator yourself if you read the beginning tech part of the GS website. I forgot the heading, but I just seen it in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X