cbr600 battery in a GS1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cbr600 battery in a GS1100?

I saw an '82 Katana 1100 on the net (can't find it now) that was using a CBR600 battery, anybody know of any problems with this?

The CBR600 is a sealed gel battery that is far smaller, lighter and more resilient to vibration than the GS counterpart.

If anybody has any knowledge of this mod be sure and fill me in.

Marcus

If anybody has any knowledge of this mod be sure and fill me in.
    I have thought of this as well, because the F2 battery is so much smaller, but it also has less capacity. The 1100 has a 12Ah battery for a reason - it takes a lot of juice to crank that motor. The F2 battery would be fine, IF your bike will start at the first touch of the starter button every time, IF your charging system is working perfectly, IF you can take the time and care to maintain that smaller battery. I have not tried it yet because my 1100 weighs so much that saving a few pounds on a critical component like a battery seems silly to me at this point. I am better off losing 10lb myself if the weight is really a concern for me. If/when I get onto my custom chassis GS1150 project I will take a much harder look at everything becasue my goal is a sub-400lb dry weight and to achieve that I need to be careful with every last ounce of weight...

Mark

Comment

well the main reason I'm interested in this conversion is because I moved my battery to add the monoshock, it's not presently in the best spot and I was thinking if I had a nice small battery I could find a better place for it. Also the F2 battery doesn't need to be upright so you could squeeze it into any nook or cranny.

Comment

hey take a look at this thread, i was in a similar boat,

the smallest and strongest battery i found was a YTZ10S Replacement Battery that i was able to mount under my swing arm. it is almost the same as the oem battery. has maybe a little more cranking amps but a tad less amp hours but i am still able to crank on it for a good while and it will not die, about 3 30 second trys before it finally started this is on a 79 1000 not much diffrent then a 1100. I would go with this if i was you and they can be had for like 50 bucks and are half the size of oem. I am yet to log any kind of mileage on the bike as it is still being created and is not road ready yet. so will see how it works out but for 50 bucks it's worth a shot.

-Ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The gel Batteries sound interesting Are there any small enough to mount in the tailsection?
          it dose'nt need to be able to crank all day in my bike, I use the kick start

Comment

take a look at the yusa batery site and download the battery chart it lists all the sizes and out puts then best match what you need.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
            X