1980 gs1100 jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1100 jetting

I noticed the main jet size on my gs1100 is 130? It seems big to me, all the bike has to my knowledge is the after market v and h 4 into 1, coudl this indicated more aggresive cams? What other reason would someone have to put big jets in a bike that doesn't have pod filters on it?
    also any idea how to stop the buzz of the gauges and light assembly its driving me nutts. I also have a small clanking sound, almost sounds like piston slap at 800-1500 rpms then it goes away, when you rev the bike in nutral it sounds fine, the clutch has some rattle but i've heard worse
    thanks
    Rob

Re: 1980 gs1100 jetting

I'm running 122.5's on my 1150 with stock airbox and exhaust. On my 1100/1197 with stock exhaust and airbox, I'm at 125 for the mains. I would not think you would need bigger jets than I do for a stock bore 1100 with only a V&H pipe. I would check plug colors for mixture before making any jetting changes. also, synch the carbs before doing a plug reading. Its impossible to determine what you may need to do with mixtures if all the plugs are burning a different color. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rspector
    I noticed the main jet size on my gs1100 is 130? It seems big to me, all the bike has to my knowledge is the after market v and h 4 into 1, coudl this indicated more aggresive cams? What other reason would someone have to put big jets in a bike that doesn't have pod filters on it?
    also any idea how to stop the buzz of the gauges and light assembly its driving me nutts. I also have a small clanking sound, almost sounds like piston slap at 800-1500 rpms then it goes away, when you rev the bike in nutral it sounds fine, the clutch has some rattle but i've heard worse
    thanks
    Rob
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i checked the plugs, a little sootie but not bad, i put 2000 miles on them and it didn't miss a beat, you thinking that it could have bigger pistons? what kind of compression should i be getting stock vs bigger pistons?

Comment

ARE they oem jets?? The jet kits are usually marked different which could be why you have 130's

Comment

would a k and l main j that was a 130 correspond to a factory size 107?, also does any one have any idea where i could get replacement mercury for my mercury sticks, I have also heard that a think oil would work too?

Comment

I would check with www.factorypro.com for the mercury. USE caution it is very nasty stuff. If you are having problems with your jetting I would sugest ordering the correct Muniki jets as a start

Comment

Working...
            X