Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS450T: Got it running, but can't downshift to 'N'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS450T: Got it running, but can't downshift to 'N'...

Ok, I got my bike running (thanks to everyone who offered advice), and I'm wondering: should there be a separate 'Neutral' shift position, or should it just go into neutral halfway between gears?

My bike's shift order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, and it stops downshifting quite firmly at '1'. I can get it into 'neutral' by shifting halfway between 1 and 2 (similar to how you move up through neutral when shifting a 6-speed automotive transmission), but there does not appear to be a 'N' position in the pattern.

I've been starting in '1st' while holding the clutch lever, and I'm wondering if it's supposed to have a 'neutral' position below 1st... Is something stuck? It shifts between the 6 gears fine while running on the centerstand, but...

Re: 82 GS450T: Got it running, but can't downshift to 'N'...

On every Suzuki I have had including the 400/450's, neutral was between 1st and 2nd. There is not really an indent for it. Its more like aprox a 1/4th indent. Going very slowly, you can feel it come to rest in neutral in the pattern, but it is a very slight rest. It will be in the middle between the two gears. you're normal....well,
    your bike is anyway. :-) :-) The early model 400/450's I had did not have a clutch lockout and would start if the key was in the on position and you pushed the starter button. (MY 750 is the same way)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

i find it more easy to downshift to neutral from 2nd, all i have to do is tap it down from 2nd and my green light turns on

Comment

It can be hard to find the neutral position on some GS's. Sometimes you can only shift into neutral while the bike is still rolling, or when the engine is shut off.
        My GS850GN did not have this problem, until I replaced the clutch plates. After that, it didn't shift into neutral that smoothly anymore.
        Maybe we should call it ''character''? :roll:

Comment

Easier for me to get neutral from 2nd than 1st as well.

Comment

Yes, that bike is hard to find neutral, but it's there. I have to get into a fight with mine every time but I usually win...just rock it back and forth and tap it slightly and the green light on your conrols will appear(hopefully)!

1N2 3 4 5 6

I gotta give it to this bike though I use to trash it before I fixed it up and it still runs! I even went mudding with it once.

Comment

put the bike on the center stand and rotate the wheel with your hand and operate the shift lever with the other hand--you will get the idea after a couple of trys

Comment

Thanks

Ok... I get it...

I'd gotten it to go neutral inbetween 1 and 2 before, but my light never comes on (even though in this 'spot' between gears, the rear wheel rotates freely, etc...).

So I had found Neutral, but I need a new neutral-indicator bulb...

Thanks again...

Comment

You will also find that your bike will start easier if you do it in neutral

Comment

Working...
                  X