No announcement yet.

Bowl levels are the same, sooooo.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scud, your last question about temperature effect on carburetion.
    Sure 50 degrees will effect the carburetion. Any properly set up motor will run stronger at 50 degrees than 100. A properly tuned/jetted motor will perform at least acceptably in almost any weather and without plug reads that fluctuate that much.
    The main thing about the effect 50 degrees would have is where the jetting truly is to begin with. If it was rich to begin with, 50 degrees cooler would improve performance and the plug reads. If it was already lean, then 50 degrees cooler would cause it to run even leaner.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Keith, it is too bad that it cannot stay at 70 degrees for me until I figure this out.

The snow has melted at the house but it is 23 degrees, if it warms up today I will take her for a spin.

Scud

Comment

Just be careful!
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well....snow melted and temps hit 60, thought I would take ride

I decided to take an extended ride (75 miles round trip) and see what might change.

First....Keith, I connected the vacuum tube back up to the #2 carb. and made sure the coils were back to their original plugs.

Hoomgar....I was hoping too that that would be the case, I mean I could almost see through the aftermarket filter (EMGO) 8O

So....I put the old (OEM) filter back in, it had 2,000 miles on it...not too many.. and took her for a ride.

The results confused me once again....surprise....

All plugs with the exception of #4 look as though I just took them out of the box..
          :?
          My daughter is moving on to the second book of the 'Suzuki' method as soon as she performs her solo recital tonight....soooooo....

I look forward to hearing back from you all...

Scud
          My daughter

Comment

ghosts???

no seruiously scud, the plugs wont give you an overall state, they just reflect teh last 10-15 seconds of operation, so you gotta do chops at different throttel openings... you cant just ride, stop normally and check them....

Comment

Your fluctuating reads must mean you're giving us the results after different throttle positions. What's interesting is now #2 is no longer dark despite connecting the petcock again. This bike just doesn't want to help us out.
              All I can say is plug reads at 1/3 and then minimal throttle positions will better tell you what to do, not just "general" riding. It appears you're lean, but we need to see what, if any, changes happen between the two circuits. Then we can change the jetting.

Comment

Thanks guys, I remember you telling me that about a month ago...sorry.. Today is the duck opener, I am going to go shoot at ducks this morning and if the weather holds will do the throttle chop test.

I too found it odd that #2 lightened up significantly......

Thanks as usual and I will get back with the results.

Scud

Comment

Originally posted by Scud
                  Today is the duck opener, I am going to go shoot at ducks this morning

Scud
                  Aw man...you shoot wildlife?
                  Give the ducks a break and go riding.

Comment

Shot at more...but this one did not get away. My son...very proud of this duck.

Back to the problem with the bike after it warms up a little.

Scud

Comment

he looks more scared than proud. i'd be scared to if i had to pose with a dead duck... (im bettigng you were still holding the gun, lol)

yeah scud: follow the instructions, do your plugchops correctly...
                      and post results for the following riding states:
                      - closed throttle 10 second operation (idle screw)
                      - < constant 1/8 throttle 10 second operation (pilot jet)
                      - constant 1/3 throttle 10 second operatioon (pilotjet+needle jet)
                      - constant 2/3 throttle 10 second operation (needle jet)
                      - constant full throttle 10 second operation (main jet)

remember tyo hit the killswitch and clutch at the same time and not let the engien burn mxture at any other throttle opening before you stop the bike and pull the plugs.

Comment

Thanks bert, I will do what you mentioned as soon as the weather breaks.

It is better duck hunting weather now then motorcycle riding weather. :?

Scud

Comment

The snow will begin to melt soon, and then, I will get back to this mystery...

Pray for warm temps....

Scud

Comment

Holy crap. I type a search in cuz I have some questions of my own about carb settings, and I get this monstrosity. It is now way past my bedtime...

Just a quick thanks to all who have contributed to this article. I learned a bunch, like I need to replace my intake gaskets cuz my idle speed will raise after she warms up, and that I need to replace all my o-rings, not just the ones I was able to find at the local big box hardware.

Couple of things for you Scud...try to change only one thing at a time. I don't know the much about carbs, and how to read a plug, but I am professional troubleshooter (mfg engineer). Sometimes the simplest problems can be masked by trying too much at once. Not that I think this is a simple problem, but changing two things at the same time will give you combination effects, and its much tougher to systemically solve the problem. Make a change, go for a ride, and notice the effect. Undo your first change, and make a second. Go for a ride, note the effect. Get the picture? It seems more tedious, but in the long run.... Reading through your posts I have notice time when it seems you have checked the same thing twice. Just my 0.02 Good luck and let us all know when you get her licked.

Comment

I tell ya, I really want to get out and work on the bike but the weather has been relentless this March. Hopefully next week it will clear up and I can get back to everyone. I had eight incehs of new snow yesterday.....

Thanks for all the advice.

Scud

Comment

well, well, well,......here we are, bike riding weather finally!!!!

I took her out for a couple of rides this past week and after a little while the first time to get her to start she seems to be running just as well as last fall before winterization.

I spoke at length with a friend of mine who owns and has owned several bikes form our era, he told me that if it starts easy, runs ok and does not act up in any gear with regards to performance to just ride and check the plugs after three hundred miles or so...in other words.....quit being so anal.

So, I have ridden about fifty miles so far and will look at the plugs after three hundred..or thereabouts...

I will keep you posted in a week or so.

Thanks for everyones input so far.

Scud

Comment

Working...
                                X