Carb airbox connection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb airbox connection question

I have a question regarding the linkage between the carbs and the airbox.

I have a 1980 GS450S and have realized that I am sucking air around the carb intake. I noticed that there are two fittings sitting loose in the air box, and have taken them out to see if they fit over the carb intakes, they seem to be about the same size as the carb intakes, and do not see how they could fit over them. My question is, is there another fitting that I am missing that seals the junction better? Or do these fittings that were in the airbox somehow fit over the carbs, or do they serve some other purpose? And if I am missing parts does anyone know where I might be able to obtain them? Thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide.

Comment

Check with Bikebandit.com

Comment

So does the fitting listed as parts 4 and 5 fit over the carb then slied into the airbox? if so, mine are not elastic enough to fit onto the carb, and will be ordering new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by thor
          So does the fitting listed as parts 4 and 5 fit over the carb then slied into the airbox? if so, mine are not elastic enough to fit onto the carb, and will be ordering new ones.
          Yes they are. If they are not cracked you can soften them with a hair dryer before putting you carbs in. This makes them pliable. but if they are cracked then you need new ones.

Comment

Just a shot in the dark on this one. If there is a gap between the air box and the rubber air intake boots what you found in the air box might be your problem. If they are flat and made from metal they would go inside the boot and expand it in order to form a seal against the airbox. Had to do this on my 11 -not fun but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Put your boot in place in the air box and with a drop or two of the the ol' WD 40 to help, insert the bands inside the boot- there should be some type of recess or flat spot in the boot to help locate the band properly. Mine required a fair bit of effort as they were a tight fit.

Comment

a mechanic told me to use a an old inner tube that will stretch around the boot and carb to create a seal...he said you don't need the boots, just something to create a seal to the airbox...this is more important than a person would think,,,but you need a sealed airbox to run effectively...use a blow dryer to make the boots a little more flexible especially to pop them them back in the airbox....

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I have new boots on the way. Big thanks for the bikebandit reference. Hopefully I will get them soon and get the old girl back on the road. The inner tube idea is a good one, nice out of the airbox thinking.

Comment

Got my parts last night, I could not believe the difference between the old and the new. 1. The new boots were actually flexible...amazing :P 2. The old ones were so dried out and shrunk they fit inside of the new ones. 8O 3. It is great to have a smooth running machine again, I know now that I'll get many more years out of the old girl, well I'll think that untill the next problem. But hey, I still keep gettin compliments on it, so I'm still gonna ride it, probably still will after I finally do get a new ride. Anyways, thanks again for all your input.

Comment

Rock on buddy!

Comment

Working...
                    X