Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450E couple ?s and a pic

Hi everybody! (Hi, Dr.Nick!)

Got my first street bike a bit ago and just love it crazy. Drive it to work every rainless day, and everywhere else I can. Runs awesome and got a heck of a deal on it.

Couple little quirks of course, but that's ok. I'm actually going to take it in soon to have the carbs synched and a couple other little tweaks to get her running as smooth as possible (I know, I know, but I don't have the knowlege, time, tools, or space right now. The only thing I've ever done on a bike is change the sparkplugs and adjust the idle (sad, I know. I'm learning though)). But here are a couple questions for now:

1. My low beams are burned out. I found a new sealed headlamp runs about $30. Will this last me a while? Or should I convert to Halogen so the bulbs are cheaper? Other suggestions?

2. I'd like to replace the handgrips as they are old hard rubber. Not only do they transfer crazy vibes, but they also get a little slick on a hot (sweaty) day. Any tips on replacing grips before I go and ruin something? Anybody have grips that they love so much you'll never change (recommendations)?

Ok, that's enough for now. I'm sure I'll have plenty more for you soon enough. Love this site. Thanks!

For the hand grip's I use hairspray as a lubricant to get them ,not to much just a light coating.
    Work quickly and get them in position.
    The spray then dry's and act's like a mild glue.
    If you put them on twisted, just lever up the edge with a screwdriver,spray some more in there and it will slip straight off.

Comment

If a replacement sealed beam is going to cost about $30, thats close enough that I would buy the conversion kit from cycle recycle for the H4 bulb. It will increase the amount of light you will have between 2 and 4 times for the same power draw.

On grips, I prefer the soft gel type grips I use Elmers Carpenters glue as a lubricant for sliding on the new grips. It takes 24 hours to set up hard, but I've never had a pair of installed grips move, pull off, or slide around. :-)

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I too second he H4 conversion...

For grips I use ProGrips gel grips... I use WD40... it lubricates ok and evaporates fairly quickly. I've done grip replacements for 5 bikes and haven't had an issue yet.

Comment

Synching a two cylinder bike is easy, you don't need guages or anything as long as your tach works. Set the idle up to 2,000 rpm or so. Pull the plug cap off one cylinder at a time. Adjust the carb on the running cylinder using the mixture screw if they are uncapped for the smoothest, highest idle. Set the rpm for that cylinder at a point where it is fairly smooth even running on one cylinder and note the rpm. No repeat the process for the other cylinder. Set the final rpm for that cylinder the same as the first. After both cylinders are running again you'll need to set the idle back down.

Comment

Be careful when converting to the new H4 bulbs. The headlight bucket will not fit a 7" light conversion. Unless the E model is different from my L model.

Comment

Re: 81 GS450E couple ?s and a pic

Originally posted by Aardvark
              Hi everybody! (Hi, Dr.Nick!)

2. I'd like to replace the handgrips as they are old hard rubber. Not only do they transfer crazy vibes, but they also get a little slick on a hot (sweaty) day. Any tips on replacing grips before I go and ruin something? Anybody have grips that they love so much you'll never change (recommendations)?

Even on hot days, I wear gloves when riding. If you go down, your first instinct is to put out, guess what?, your hands. Anyone who's had road rash on their hands will back me up on this. I only did it once, on a fire road. I was picking gravel out of my palms for a couple of days and it was two weeks before I was healed up enough to be able to ride. I always wear gloves, steel toed ankle boots and jeans to ride, and of course a helmet (it's the law in CA!). I just got a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket, mesh with padding for arms shoulders, back and kidneys. It lets all the wind thru, feels like you're riding with a t-shirt but offers protection.

Be safe! Live to ride another day...

Comment

Hey, thanks all.

Looks like The H4 converson is the way to go (waldo, I'll look into that to be sure).

B-Ricks, I believe the mixture screws are capped which call for drilling, yes? That's where I'm out. That doesn't sound too tough, otherwise.

Ian, even tho there's no helmet law here in Wisco, I still wear one. I figure skin grows back, skulls don't. I will probably see if a can find a pair of gloves that doesn't drive me nuts, tho.

Again, thanks everyone. (and I'll still be watchin if anyone else has anything to add.)

Comment

Working...
                X