X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Pods and cam cover gasket..

OK GS Gear heads -
    2 ?'s...

1. I recently, quite by mistake, ordered 4 air pods from JC Whitney that were labled for the GS series bikes. 8O I eventually got the right air filter and replaced the old piece of mess that was clogged and crumbling -but I digress--
    Can I put these air pods on my carbs instead of attaching them to my stock air filter? Is this how they are supposed to work? Positives or negatives to this set up? Easier to remove carbs? Does it make the carbs loose not being attached to the stock air box? Would be a neat look though I think..

2. Going to replace my cam cover gasket. Is this procedure that tough? I have the half moon plugs on the way, as well as the gasket, torque wrench is ready to retourque the head bolts. Anything I should really be looking for when I have it off? Chain wear? Valve wear? Underwear?

Thanks to the zen masters of GS repair...

not sure about first Q alot of guys run the pods in the forum so more qualified to answer it than myself

Q2 no fiarly easy job of cam cover gasket when you have it off ckeck your valve clearence and cam chain for wear some guys reapply gasket with silicone some don`t some like me just put the sealer on the cam cover side then bolt on you only really need to remove gas tank and breather line running for air box to cam cover but keep your bolts in order I know on mine the left front and right rear bolts are longer than the rest not sure about your year though

Comment

Putting pod filters on your bike will require a fairly in depth re-jetting of the carbs. Some people really don't like them and some do. I did the pod and re-jetting thing along time ago and tinkered with jetting off and on for quite some time, but I did get it sorted out. The airbox has to be removed and I used long ,thick zip ties wrapped around the bracket that the carbs are bolted to and then looped them around the frame rails and snugged them up for support.

Comment

Make sure the underwear is clean....no skid marks!

Comment

i did the gasket thing 3 weeks ago. its pretty easy just make sure the surfaces are clean. keep and eye on the half moon gaskets one poped out on me while it was parked. lots of oil........ and get your self a tube of high temp rv gasket, that helps put a stop to any little leaks you might get around the gasket. mine kept get little leaks here and there.

let me know how the pod thing works out. i was thinking of doing mine too.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
            Make sure the underwear is clean....no skid marks!
            that avitar is a sign of someone with an excellent sense of humor- some of the faces are an even better sign I would never have said that if i pesently had my mug on display 8O 8O

Comment

Thanks for all the help! Decided to stay with the stock air box..and the bike, If I can get it to run right..eventually..

Comment

Slowpoke, sometimes ya just got to be different!!!

Comment

Working...
                X