What kind of tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of tire?

I need a new rear tire for my 1982 GS850GLZ. I now have a Metzeler ME55A "Metronic" which matches the front Metzeler "laser", (although the tread is totally different).
    The rear is a 130\90-16 I cannot source a ME55A of that size any more.:?
    Any body have a good replacement or good experience with a different tire?

Also, My shop manual says I need to remove both rear shock absorbers, and bleed the air out of the front fork in order to depress the front end enough to get the rear tire out while the bike is on the center stand. 8O Huh?
    Any tips?
    Thanks,
    Mike

shaftie right? not sure about removing both shocks for shaftie people but my bike on centerstand the rear tire is a few inches off the ground, plenty of room to remove a tire.

Comment

Put a small piece of lumber, 2 x 6 or 2 x 8, under the centerstand. May need to Get help to get it up on the stand, but you will get apprx. 4" more lift at the rear wheel. It's been 20 years since I owned my GS 1000 G, don't remember about removing rear shocks.

Comment

My 2002 Metzeler catalog still shows the ME55A in the 130/90-16 size, must be a mistake. They also show the ME880 Marathon in that size and say that it's compatible with the ME33 Laser front.
        Axel

Comment

Yes you need to unbolt the rear shocks. This allows the rear wheel to drop down to where it can be removed. There is a special tool/cable to compress the front forks. in your tool kit if your bike still has one. Other wise put a 2X6 under the center stand. DON"T forget to put the locking pin in the centerstand for your saftey and your bikes saftey. If you have someone to help you can put the bike on the centerstand and then raise the front of the bike with a jack high enough to slide the 2x6 under the centerstand

Comment

I am Running a V-Rated Michelin Macadam....It is a Great tire

Comment

yeah sqdancers right you have to remove the rear shocks. be careful not to damg the bolts coming off the frame (as i almost did mine ) compressing the front fork is a pain, the clymer manual has 2 ways to do it. i went another route, previous to needing a new tire i modified the rear end and shortened the tail section and chopped the fender...no compression of the forks needed, the tire just slips out.
              Tire suggestions...
              pirelli route 55 ( or some #) are good
              IRC durotour (current) not as good but cheaper
              i heard metzlers are the best or battleaxes

80' gs850

Comment

The back tire on my bike is a Bridgestone 11R. I see a lot of these tires on the bikes at school where a skinny back tire is required. Even saw one on an old CB900 so I imagine they can take some power. I think they are called Fireblades or something.

Anyway, mine came on the bike worn a little flat but after 6500km I have not seen a difference. From what I hear about Metzelers this is very good. If the origional front tire on my bike was a Cheng Shin (changed when bought) then I believe this is the second rear tire on the bike which has a total of 31000km.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X