How to measure float height GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to measure float height GS1000

Just double checking..... on the VM26 carbs you measure from where the gasket normally sits to the highest point on the float, right?. But do you hold the float down to where it closes the needle, or do you measure with the the float just resting on the needle??

Thanks in advance
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

The float should be just contacting the needle, not fully down. I usually just tip the cabs up at an angle sufficient for them the lightly rest on the needles, using a block of wood or whatever. The needles should only require light pressure to close off, so that is the height you want.

Comment

You measure from the bowl gasket surface (gasket removed) to the top of the float. Make sure the floats are even and not tweaked.
      As shown in the factory manual, you allow the float to rest on the needles spring. If the needles spring is in good condition, your adjustments will be correct. There is some question as to when a needles spring has become too weak and compromises your adjustments.
      I set the floats (.94") right in the middle of their range (.90-.98"). This is a good compromise that also allows for a little difference in each needles spring strength, which can vary some and makes very precise adjustment difficult.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Just a word of warning, I had set the floats perfectly as the manual suggests, but decided to check with a level check hose, as the manual says you should. The bench set heights were way off, the clear hose connected to the bowl drain told the tale.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had weak springs in mine like Keith mentioned to watch for. After I put new ones in the floats were off a lot. A little spring sag goes a long ways in the float height because the floats are cantilevered out way past the where they rest on the needles. You will get a false reading. The new ones don't move at all from the weight of the floats.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            Just a word of warning, I had set the floats perfectly as the manual suggests, but decided to check with a level check hose, as the manual says you should. The bench set heights were way off, the clear hose connected to the bowl drain told the tale.

I've been wondering exactly how to do this method?? Ive heard talk, but dont really understand it.

poot

Comment

Originally posted by Poot

I've been wondering exactly how to do this method?? Ive heard talk, but dont really understand it.

poot
              I'd like to know too. I'm guessing that you screw a narrow diameter, clear hose into the drain tap and loop it back up with the open end towards the top of the carbs. The gas would then fill the tube to the level that it is in the bowls. Correct??

To me the easiest and most accurate way to measure float height would be to measure the actual volume of gas in the bowls (mine generally have about 60ml in each). Unfortunately my manual doesn't give this measurement.

Comment

Ditto. You have to check with the clear hoses. The measurement is not a good way to go. Might get you close, might not. You have to see where they are. They could be way off with the height measurements right on.

Now the real question. When using the tubes. How far down from the top of the bowl should the fuel level be exactly?

Comment

I've never had a problem with adjusting fuel levels without that tool. It could certainly help people who do, or have defective parts and don't know it. I've heard that the tubing must be a specific diameter to avoid false reads, but I'm not sure about that. The tool also must be held at a specific point, according to Suzuki, "about .08" off the rear end of the float chamber". You can't just hold it anywhere along side the bowl. Of course, the bike must be on the centerstand too.
                  Where the level should be in relation to the carb bowl/body, pic's are much better than trying to describe because the description differs a little with the design of carb. You all know I don't know how to send pic's though.
                  On the VM carbs, there's generally a hi/low range of .08". Picture the hi/low marks on a battery. The high level would be right at the bottom edge of the carb body. The lower level would be right at the bottom "edgeing" on the side of the bowl. Or if that's confusing, no more than .08" below the high level.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

So where is the level supposed to be Keith? How far down from the top edge of the bowl in inches?

As for the tubing, I would think whoever told you that is off. It is basic physics here. Fluid in a tube. I wouldn't think it matters at all how thick or where you put them so long as they all go up. Then measure fluid height. It's based on gravity and atmospheric pressure not vacuum or anything. I can't see how it would matter at all. Maybe we need sight windows in our fuel bowls

I did mine off the bike while on the bench. I used fish tank tubing.

Comment

I thought I described it Mark. The level can be anywhere from the high level I described, (the very bottom edge of the carb "upper" body) and .08" below that point, which is the bottom of the "raised" edge that runs along the side of the bowl.
                      As for if the tube size can matter, it's just something I read at a topic here recently. I don't know if it matters. I'm a pretty good judge of float valves/floats conditions and the way I measure, so I just don't have problems setting levels. So I never bothered with a level gauge.

Comment

So there is not set measurement? It can be anywhere inbetween where you said? if that's the case then mine is good. I though there was an exact set spot it should be at.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                          So there is not set measurement? It can be anywhere inbetween where you said? if that's the case then mine is good. I though there was an exact set spot it should be at.
                          No, there's no set measurement. There's a range. .90 to .98" measured with verniers. I set them to .94" usually.
                          If you measure right and the float valves are in good condition, the fuel level you observe in the tube will be somewhere within the two levels I explained. If the level you observe isn't right, then the floats haven't been set correctly or the condition of the float valve spring is compromising your adjustments.
                          If you have any doubts about this, then post a pic' with the level "marks" as you understand them and I'll verify if you're right. I know you know how to post pic's.

Comment

Working...
                          X