Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Reserve & Kick Starting

Greetings all,

I'm new here. Friday (July 8th 2005) I purchased my first motorcycle. A 1979 GS750L and it's in really nice condition. I do have two questions which I have tried to search out in the back topics but need the questions addressed more specifically.

1) My GS being a 79.. has a kick start in addition to electric.. Like another gentleman has said... it doesn't seem to turn anything over and doesn't seem to have any resistance when I try. Please inform me of the correct set up to begin kick starting... Should the bike be in Neutral with the clutch OUT (not squeezed)??? I want to know how to use this back-up feature.

2) My fuel reserve switch (located on the left as I sit on the bike and just under the tank) seems to be stuck and I don't want to force it for fear of breaking it. The switch kind of looks like an arrow and I think it's pointing down. It isn't like it's rusted or anything, Why can't I budge the position of the 'arrow'?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Andropolis

The kick start works thru the clutch so it must be released & in neutral.
    The fuel valve should turn It is probably gummed up & in need of cleaning

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I got my bike kick started finally! It worked very easily I might add.

I also got the fuel reserve switch to move back and forth and tried to oil it but still rather stiff.

Thanks again for the reply!

Comment

Great

Sounds like you've got yourself a great bike! Sometimes, the petcock arm is hard to turn because the screws that hold it together are too tight. You might try backing them out a little bit and turn them back in until they're snug...but not too tight. :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have noticed that every so often the kick will not give any resistance. If you hit the electric for a few turns it will usually "re-set" the resistance on the kick. Sounds strange but it is just what I have noticed in my travels.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...

The reason I was having problems with 'no resistance' was because I was mistakenly holding the clutch in; but i'll remember the advice incase i'm doing everything correct but still not getting any resistance!

As for the petcock... we used to have one... But it was a rooster we kept in our garage. I apologize for my ignorance but what is a 'petcock'? I looked for screws surrounding the fuel reserve switch and found some that screw in upward towards the seat. I didn't mess with them though... But I will if that's what you're refering to Chuckycheese.

My concern about the fuel reserve switch is because it's probably something that you have to switch quickly and without too much effort (even though I've never been in this predicament because I haven't ridden much) because you may be traveling fast and experience a sudden drop in power which wouldn't be good on the freeway 8O (which I don't intend to be on for a long time).

Thanks everyone! Anything else would be appreciated (pertaining to the fuel reserve).

Comment

advice

I gave you bad advice! I looked up the schematic for your petcock (fuel valve) and it's not the type where that problem could exist....so don't mess with the screws. Lynn's probably right about it being dirty and gummed up.

Sorry about that.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

BTW, since this hasn't been covered yet and you asked - the 'petcock' IS the fuel selector valve.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                  BTW, since this hasn't been covered yet and you asked - the 'petcock' IS the fuel selector valve.

And they usually have 3 positions, arrow down means on.
                  Arrow to the side off, sometimes reserve and arrow up usually prime.
                  Prime means it will allow fuel to flow, without resistance.
                  Wether the motor needs/wants fuel or not it will get it.

take aclose look at the fuel valve aka petcock, you may see small,very small letters on it P O R, for Prime,On or reserve.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                  X