Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G-CRANKSHAFT ROLLS ON BEARINGS OR..?ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G-CRANKSHAFT ROLLS ON BEARINGS OR..?ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT?

First of all I come from Greece so I maybe need a few more words to describe some things-sorry for that
    I have a GS850G, propably 1981 model and I am about to disassembly the engine all the way to the crankcase.-Poor performance and major oil leaks the main reasons.
    My engineer told me that I should make sure that my 850 has BALL BEARINGS rolling the crankshaft and not "pillow blocks"*--I don't know if it is the right term-Found that in the dictionary--I mean those parts that do the same job as the classic bearings but they use a small amount of oil instead of little cylinders or balls.I hope you 'll understand which part this is--
    For example a 1990 GSXR1100 owner told me that his bike use those while my engineer's Katana uses classic bearings.The problem is that 'pillow blocks" are not so trusty and engineer told me that if we are about to re-build the engine and eventually increase horsepower "pillow blocks" won't handle, they 'll crack and damage the engine.
    When I asked him how come a 1990 GSXR uses untrusty 'pillow blocks'
    while an older bike like Katana has strong bearings, told me that it is a matter of cost for the manufacturer.So I'll have to be sure my GS uses bearings before I proceed--It's not that I don't trust my GS, I ve heard it is bulletproof but it is also old and I have to be sure--so any knowlebge on that would be much helpfull.
    Thank you all fellow GS owners

The GS 850 2Valve motor is as bulit proof as an engine can be. It uses roller bearings & a low pressure oiling system The later 4 valve motors used a plain bearing hi pressure system IF you are determined to do modifications to your bike I would sugest starting with a GS1000G motor. The preformance parts from a GS1000E will fit. THE "G' model is not meant to be a drag racer but a great road bike

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      The GS 850 2Valve motor is as bulit proof as an engine can be. It uses roller bearings & a low pressure oiling system The later 4 valve motors used a plain bearing hi pressure system IF you are determined to do modifications to your bike I would sugest starting with a GS1000G motor. The preformance parts from a GS1000E will fit. THE "G' model is not meant to be a drag racer but a great road bike
      Thank you SqDancerLynn1-a great road bike indeed!
      I was 90% percent sure that 850 uses roller bearings as you say, I know for fact that it's bulletproof-many people have told me so when I bought it
      back in 1997.But I wanted 100% sure.I checked the schematic drawings for the crankshaft and compare them with other bikes not using roller bearings.
      I don't really want to turn it into some 300HP dragster of cource, just to raise the power up to a decent level like 70HP(I have a "MOTO LEGENDE" issue here, a french classic bike magazine with an article dedicated to GSs that says it had 77,6HP new).I guess that mine has a poor 55-60HP at the time(just guessing).So I don't intend to replace the engine with a 1000 or do major modifications, just open it and check it all(valves, camshaft, pistons etc..)and then deal with carb adjustments, exhaust and so on
      UNLESS you suggest a GS1000G engine because parts are easier to find-I m sorry for not understanding that completely-Is there any problem in finding engine parts for the 850?OK I know that maybe I will have to search a little more for some things but is there any real big problem with parts?Do I also have a benefit with that low pressure oiling system?
      I would also like to ask you;when you are saying later 4 valve motors use plain bearings, do you mean GSs or some other models?Because I found that the GSX1100 for example uses roller bearings too-correct me if I am wrong
      These are too many questions but since here in Greece GSs are rare to find, I haven't found anyone with a GS experience.The most common 80s bikes here where the CB Bol d' or, GPZ, GSX or some on-of like yamaha XT.I am only 27, and you know, I happen to fall in love with a heavy GS850 _THANKS

Comment

Most Factory original parts are still available from your dealer. Up to 1986? the GS used roller bearings. Manny of the models we refer to as GS1100 GS1150 are referet to as GSX1100 GSX1150 overseas models The later GSX that we refer to are 1988 & newer

Comment

Working...
        X