Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Problems

Hello,
    I have a 1979 Suzuki GS550E. It starts fine, but it has a rough idle. If you give it gas it runs fine. Driving at constant speeds isnt bad, but when you try to get on it it seems to sputter a bit then it will kick in and go. If you really get on it hard for a few minutes it seems to get rid of the sputter, but not the rough idle. Cylender 1= 70-80psi Cylender 2= 95-100psi and the other two read around 100=120. The first one seems quite low. Does anyone know if this could be the problem. If so is there a type of feul addative that will clean the valves to help w/ compression. If this isnt the problem then does anyone have any other suggestions??? THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!!!

did you clean out your gas cap vent? i had a similar problem when giving my 1980 gs550e gas between 5500 and7500 rpms... the gas cap vent did the trick.

check your fuel mixture screws too.

Comment

Your compression is low, how are your valve clearences?

Comment

I'm not sure, how do you check valve clearence?

Comment

You would really have to get a workshop manual for this bike,I could explain how to do it but it would help you to have pictures,when you get one we will help you through any problem.
          Due to normal wear & tear ,the clearance closes up to the point where the valves can stay slightly open, reduceing compression, this may be your problem.
          Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X