advice on starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on starting issues

Have had my 77' gs550 project for a few months now. It ran alright, but throttle would stick sometimes. It started knocking and I found out gas was running into the base, breaking down the oil. Changed oil, tore down carbs and found out one of the throttle valves was sticking open.

Everything is back together now. I tried to start it up and nothing. Checked the fuse (had blown one after I first got it) and it was fine. Wouldn't even kick start. Anyway, battery was dead and I tried trickle charging it on 2 amps like everyone is saying and it still wouldn't hold a charge. New battery is in and it cranks no problem but won't fire. I'm getting good fire at the points, but when i checked at the plugs nothing.

From all the research I've been doing, I know these bikes don't have the best electricals. Everyone seems to be having troubles with the regulator/rectifier, and I was wondering if this may be my problem.

I appreciate any advice, I know this topic has been posted a bunch. Just wanted to see if anyone has run into the same situation as me. Thanks.

If your not getting spark at any of the plug's ,my first guess would be you disturbed the wireing to the coil's when you removed/replaced the tank.
    Trace your wires from the point's to the coil.
    Check and clean all conection's.

Comment

Did you prime the gas to fill the bowls before the attempted restart. It would probably run the battery down waiting for the vacuum petcock to release enough fuel while cranking to start it.

Comment

With your having power at the points, but nothing delivered at the plugs you seem to have narrowed down your areas of concern to roughly two.

GSpaul suggested checking your connections between the coils and the plugs. Excellent idea.

Be sure the plug wires are routed cleanly to the plugs, and not caught between metal pieces that could cause the spark to short out before reaching the plug.

You might also check the voltage at the points and the coil input terminals. You may not be getting enough voltage to fire the coils, which would suggest dirty/loose connections in the wiring before reaching the points.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X