Odometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer question

Ok, I know that this can't be done on modern odometers, however I would like to know.

I purchased a 140mph speedo off of e-bay to put onto the 650.

The 650 currently has abou 17,xxx miles on it.

From the picture what I can make out the 140mph speedo has 23,4xx miles on it.

So, now for the question.

Is it possable to hook this up to, oh say a drill, and reverse the milage back to make them match? I don't want to go less than I've currently got, but I don't really want the 6,000 mile difference either.

So, if it isn't possable to do, then I guess I'm going to be working on putting 6,000 miles on the Beast here soon.. Anybody up for riding??

Amos

As of yesterday I put just over 4200 miles on my Blue GS since I bought it 3 months ago

We need to ride more! You'll be there in no time!

Comment

If you saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off you'd remember they tried this with the Ferrari by putting the car on jackstands and running it in reverse. As far as I know rotating the pinion backwards won't do it. The only way I can think of to match a replcement odmeter to the original one would be to open the case and do it by hand.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark
        If you saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off you'd remember they tried this with the Ferrari by putting the car on jackstands and running it in reverse. As far as I know rotating the pinion backwards won't do it. The only way I can think of to match a replcement odmeter to the original one would be to open the case and do it by hand.
        As I recall, in the movie they knocked it off the jack-stands and it reversed out the back of the garage, which was build on the uper side of the hill and destroyed the car. (prior to that act it had been working, but then again, it is hollywood)

You are correct Mark, I rode to work today, and I'm planning on taking the long way home. We may just have to put on 6000 miles here quickly. What a bummer.

Amos

Comment

I recently picked up an instrument pod of of ebay to replace an ailing gear display and wobbly oil temp guage needle. I was playing around with the speedo and found that, at least manually, the odometer reading would decrease when turned backwards. It took about 5 minutes of turning manually to see a perceptable change. I didn't try a drill (had no reason to). So I guess the answer is yes, you can.

Comment

Pssst,...ask for Billy down at Honest Ray's Low Mileage Previously Owned Vehicles. Tell him the magic numbers, slip him a tenner and the instrument, come back in an hour and it'll play a new tune!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
              I recently picked up an instrument pod of of ebay to replace an ailing gear display and wobbly oil temp guage needle. I was playing around with the speedo and found that, at least manually, the odometer reading would decrease when turned backwards. It took about 5 minutes of turning manually to see a perceptable change. I didn't try a drill (had no reason to). So I guess the answer is yes, you can.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

(btw, which way is backwards? I know I could just hook up the drill and try it one direction and if the speedo registers I need to go the other direction but if you already know it would save at least a little bit of time.)

As for the going to see the low milage used car guy.. well, I don't know any of them around here.

Amos

Comment

If you set your drill at the equivalent of a negative 100 MPH, it will take 2.5 days of continuous running to remove 6000 miles

If you hook the drill to the cable rather than directly to the gauge, you should be sure the cable is well lubed

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
                  If you set your drill at the equivalent of a negative 100 MPH, it will take 2.5 days of continuous running to remove 6000 miles

If you hook the drill to the cable rather than directly to the gauge, you should be sure the cable is well lubed
                  Interesting way of putting it that I hadn't though about.

Hmm.. there is a speedometer shop here in the area, perhaps if I took it to them with the bike as it sits to prove I wasn't trying to cheat anyone they could adjust it for a fee...

Or I just wait a couple more days.. (though it will take longer than 2.5 days, cause there is no way I'll run the thing without being around to keep an eye on it)

Or, as stated before I just put it in a box till I rack up another 6000 miles on the bike.

Amos

Comment

Dremel? Although I'm not sure if the high rpm would do any damage.

Brad tt

Comment

yeah, I'm sure if you were to run the speedometer at 6000 mph in reverse, it could be done much quicker. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                      Dremel? Although I'm not sure if the high rpm would do any damage.

Brad tt
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yeah, 6000 mph in reverse should take the 6000 miles off in only a couple of hrs.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thats halfway what I though too. :-) / :-) :-)

E.

Originally posted by rphillips
                          Yeah, 6000 mph in reverse should take the 6000 miles off in only a couple of hrs.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just put a drill on the cable on my 750 and ran it at 1400 rpm and the speeedometer showed 30 mph.

So to get 100 mph you would have to run at about 4700 rpm.

A dremmel running at 30,000 rpm would be 640 mph, which would take about 9.5 hours to take off the 6000 miles.

To get 6000 mph, (reverse or forward) the cable would have to be turning at 280,000 rpm. 8O 8O

My guess is that neither the cable or the bearing in the speedometer was designed to take that.

Comment

I have a spare instrument cluster, maybe I should give it a try. I just need to find something that turns at 280,000 rpm.....

Comment

Working...
                              X