No announcement yet.

Odometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I recall, in the movie they knocked it off the jack-stands and it reversed out the back of the garage, which was build on the uper side of the hill and destroyed the car. (prior to that act it had been working, but then again, it is hollywood
    Nah, it wasn't working. That's why Carmen decided to face the music and his Dad, and consequently began kicking the front of the car, which knocked it off the jackstand.

Comment

If it was that easy you'd see guys at used car lots running the cars around the block in reverse all day.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

You could always run it forward until it finaly flipped to all 0's and then keep going til yopu get to the milage you want.

That could take a while though, going off of the previous posts. You would have to go 94,000 miles. If you have nothing better to do for a week or so, it should work. Save up for the electric bill ...

Comment

This has to be the funniest topic Ive ever read. Lol, I would try taking it to the speedo shop and asking them to reverse it.

Comment

Personally, I would just install the new one and write a note in the shop manual with the date and mileage of both odometers at the time. Unless you're planning on selling the bike soon, the number on the odometer doesn't really mean that much.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul
              Personally, I would just install the new one and write a note in the shop manual with the date and mileage of both odometers at the time. Unless you're planning on selling the bike soon, the number on the odometer doesn't really mean that much.
              I did something similar to that with a car once and sold it about six months after. The person that bought it from me had no clue what I was trying to explain to them 8O

The car itself had about 135,000 miles on it. I replaced the engine at about 127,000 miles with an engine that had 22,000 on it at the time I put it in. So, when I sold it the engine had only about 30,000 miles on it.

You would have thought I was trying to explain Einstein's theory of general reletivity to to the guy that bought it :?

Comment

Originally posted by JROBERTS
                You would have thought I was trying to explain Einstein's theory of general reletivity to to the guy that bought it :?
                Try explaining why the words "odometer discrepency may exist" does not appear on a 1986 Ohio title, to the KY dmv.

"Ma'am there is no odometer discrepency so what does it matter?"

"It's a federal law! That must be an option on the title."

"Ma'am that title is from 1986! When did this become a law?"

"Those words MUST appear on the title."

Almost a week of dicking around over a thousand dollar car the state refused to issue me title/registration too...Ahhh, my somewhat belligerant attitude may have had something to do with it tho"

Comment

If it means anything...in PA the title is marked "EXEMPT" for the odometer disclosure after the vehicle is 10 years old. The bike my friend has theat I'm helping him with (see Waking up an old GS450) has 12000 on the clock and I have a speedo that has 30000 on it. When the bike is that old I think the condition would matter more than the miles.
                  1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark
                    If it means anything...in PA the title is marked "EXEMPT" for the odometer disclosure after the vehicle is 10 years old. The bike my friend has theat I'm helping him with (see Waking up an old GS450) has 12000 on the clock and I have a speedo that has 30000 on it. When the bike is that old I think the condition would matter more than the miles.
                    Well, if that is true, then why was it such a pain in the you know what, when I purchased the 650 and the milage on the old title was scratched out and written in in pen?

Oh, well.

I got the speedo, unfortunately the needle was extreemly fragile and broke.(no, not while running it backwards either) So.. Now I'm in the market for a needle, which means I should have plenty of time to ride a bunch of miles and back this one off a few.

Amos

Comment

The reason it would be a pain with the milage scratched out with a pen is because if you read the bottom line on the front of the title it says "ANY ALTERATION OT ERASURE VOIDS THIS TITLE". When the DOT does it, its OK.
                      1981 GS 450L

Comment

Working...
                      X