Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still leaking oil....I want to burn this bike sooo bad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still leaking oil....I want to burn this bike sooo bad....

I posted a few weeks back about torquing the head down to stop an oil leak. Well, short story is that after torquing the head, replacing the o ring for the starter, replacing the left side cover, the bike is still leaking a lot of oil.

I suspected the head because there was a little oil on one edge near the starter. I now believe that it was not leaking there, just some oil that probably sprayed up. I cleaned the area and no oil has returned to that spot.

Removed the starter and there was a trememdous amount of oil there. Cleaned it all out and replaced the o ring, even though it appeared to be fine. Decided to pull the side cover as I had a spare gasket just to see the area where the starter comes out to try and detect a crack or something...nothing obvious showing. Looked at air filter...no oil to be seen. Wiped the cam chain tensioner area with a white cloth...nothing to be seen. I really am having trouble determining where the oil is coming from. There is a plate screwed down to the base of the engine behind the starter. I am not sure what it does and while it doesn't look like it is leaking, I am thinking there must be a gasket and perhaps it is leaking from there.

One thing I am noticing is that there is a lot of water running off the engine of the bike after I ride home (like 1/8 cup). I store the bike in a garage and this is normally during reasonably warm (and dry) days. Mean anything?

Should I sell the rights of this bike to the oil company...perhaps I have one of those unique bikes that is actually an oil well and produces its own oil or something.

Needless to say another frustating chapter in my ownership woes on this bike.

One thing I am noticing is that there is a lot of water running off the engine of the bike after I ride home (like 1/8 cup). I store the bike in a garage and this is normally during reasonably warm (and dry) days. Mean anything?
    Where in the world are you getting water from? (I assume you don't mean after riding in the rain)

Can you clean/degrease the engine some, and then get a better idea where the leak is coming from? Or take some pics to post?
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

No idea where the water is coming from...and you assume correct that it is not after a rain nor is it after a ride on wet roads. It is constant...is it possibly condensation?

Comment

Get a can or 2 of degreaser, spray down the whole engine until it is stupid clean. get a box fan, put in front of bike, turn on high. Put bike on centre stand, start engine, turn idle screw to 2500 RPM. get flashlight and watch engine while running until you see fresh oil. I havent found/read your other postings, but my first 3 bets for 'hidden' oil leaks (from experience, mind you) are the cam cover gasket, and cam chain tensioner "O' ring, and Tachometer output shaft 'O' ring.

As for the water...well....fuel maybe? battery juice? cannot see where water would be coming from, especially the amount your talking about.

Comment

If you're getting oil on the floor, you might check your clutch pushrod seal. If this seal leaks it tends to fling a lot of oil around. Good Luck

Comment

Cleaned engine before however, the idea of using a fan may help. I have ordered the o ring for the tensioner. As for the Cam cover and the tach they are on the front of the engine correct? I can't think that the oil would get under the starter from there unless I am rading it incorrectly? I am also wondering about what I am guessing is the oil pressure switch and if there is a gasket on it.

Comment

That oil can get under your starter from a clutch pushrod seal tho'. Up through the drain hole.

Comment

First time I read about your problem I thought cam chain tensioner.

Comment

No oil on floor, until it runs off the engine when I place it on the side stand after a ride. The leak has gotten bad enough that it is nw putting oil on the back wheel. Based on the price I think I'll just try to get all of the gaskets in that area and replace them all.

Comment

Yes, teh tach output is on the front. the cam cover is on the top of the whole engine. Leaks from there can roll in all sorts of places that you woulnt think a valve cover could leak. The oil pressure switch is usually located behind the cylinders, directly under the cam chain tensioner. it is plastic, with 'O' ring, and sits on a oblong cover which also has an "O" ring, and is supported by two bolts. Usually they will not leak into the starter cover as the starter cover sits slightly higher than the switch. Either way, degrease completely and run engine untill you see first sign of leakage. trace from there.

Comment

Billy Ricks and bwringer...please remind me why I did not totally listen to you? From now on everything you say I will take as gospel truth!

I had eliminated the cam tensioner because I could not see any oil there. Degreased the bike tonight and went for a fairly long run to heat up the engine and stopped the bike in the garage. Quickly grabbed my light and there we go, a drop of oil coming out of the set screw(?) on the tensioner. I guess it only comes out when hot and probably under pressure? So now it really is a simple fix...and I am once again the problem more than the bike! Someday I will learn.

Comment

also check that gasket on the tensioner,.

Comment

Working...
                        X