Dyna S spacer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S spacer question

Below is my email conversation with Dynatek, it doesn't really answer my question. If I leave the spacer out the cam on the end of the crank can move in and out about 1mm, I am guessing this is bad, do I just make my own spacer? The system I have is the DS3-2 and it says it should work for my GS850 right on the box.
    Thanks,

Luke
    ------------
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Please find attached the
    instruction information you might need. This is in a .PDF format and Adobe
    Acrobat Reader is required to open it. You can download a free version of
    this software at www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html. Please note
    that we reference the system without the spacer as the DS3-1 system. That
    system would run without the spacer at all. If we can be of further
    assistance, please contact us again

Sincerely,

Raymond Goshorn

Applications Engineer

To whom it may concern:

I have a 1979 Suzuki GS850 that I am upgrading to a Dyna S. The unit I have
    came off of a 1982 GS1000 Katana. Everything seems to fit fine except for
    the machined aluminum spacer that goes on the end of the crank shaft. It is
    too thick (about 2 or 3mm) I need one closer to 1mm I think. Are these
    available or is something else not quite put together correctly? I am
    pretty sure the signal cam is pushed all the way on the end of the crank
    shaft and is engaging the mech. advance unit. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

Points type advance unit you use the spacer. with the elect ign advance unit you do not use the spacer It is also a good idea to verify the timing marks

Comment

I am converting from the points ign. so it sounds like I should use the spacer, however, if I put the spacer in, it seems to be too thick, the "fingers" on the end of the crank shaft don't quite engage the slots on the back of the 19mm nut. Is the new dyna part just not seated far enough on end of the crank (I really don't see how I can get it on any farther, it is engaging the mech. adv.)? I guess I'll take another look today.

Luke

Comment

Luke, I had the same problem with my '80 GS550L (which already had an electronic pickup as well as the mechanical advance). Initially I installed it without the spacer (per the instructions), but it seemed as if there were sporadic problems without it, so I broke down and very carefully used my grinder to take off the excess material until the spacer was narrow enough to allow the advance to move properly.

I took extra care to make sure the "machined" end was absolutely flat and smooth, so as to avoid any unwanted wear. The bike has run about a season and a half that way with no obvious trouble.

Just between you and me (and everyone who reads this), I think it's stupid that Dyna doesn't provide a properly sized spacer for our application.

Hope this helps!
        Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will make sure one last time that everything is seated correctly and then get to work modifying the spacer.

Luke

Comment

I have two question for you .did you have power coming from the orange and white wire when you turned on the key?And what color wire from the harness did you use for power.

Comment

Working...
            X