fuel petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel petcock question

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a shut off knob or handle for the fuel petcock on my 1980 GS 550L? If so which way is reserve position and so on? Thanks. :? 8)

Some of them had a screwdriver slot

Comment

If it has only the screwdriver slot, it won't have res. Only on & pri. I think the 1980 models were the only models without res. Suzuki learned pretty quick how dumb that idea was, and put it back.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Been done

Yeah, this subject has been discussed zillions of times and the "search" feature will tell you more about it than you will ever want to know. The 1980 models were the only ones plagued with this malady. The reason was a lack of space (at least on mine) and, as a result, everyone that owns a 1980 model probably has a petcock gathering dust in their garage.

I put on a Pingel...and I think everyone else probably did, too!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          If it has only the screwdriver slot, it won't have res. Only on & pri. I think the 1980 models were the only models without res. Suzuki learned pretty quick how dumb that idea was, and put it back.
          Is this true for all 1980 models? 8O I've never even moved the switch on the petcock on my GS1000G, except to get under it to clean, and promptly moved it right back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ions001
            Is this true for all 1980 models? 8O I've never even moved the switch on the petcock on my GS1000G, except to get under it to clean, and promptly moved it right back.
            I'm not sure about all models, but if you're unlucky enough to have the slot petcock, the Run position is horizontal and the Prime position is vertical.

You cannot find an aftermarket rebuild kit for this petcock either . It's about $70 to replace if you stay with the Suzuki part.

Comment

Working...
            X