Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get 1980 fuel petcock rubber gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get 1980 fuel petcock rubber gasket?

Hey,

I have a 1980 GS550L - one of the models with the weird fuel petcock that has no reserve and only a screwdriver slot to turn between prime and on.

I need to get a new rubber gasket that seals between the petcock and the fuel tank and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to get it. The gasket is smaller than those on the "regular" petcocks and also has two additional pieces of rubber that create three sectons on the gasket instead of just the "regular" oval.

I've tried to get this petcock from Bike Bandit twice before. They don't list the right gasket for the 1980 GS550L and I've fought with them telling them that they have the wrong part listed, but they refuse to look into it. I managed to get the right part by ordering off a 1980 GS750L the first time, but they've since changed the schematics posted for that bike.

If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know.

Thanks!

--Tyler

Re: Where to get 1980 fuel petcock rubber gasket?

Considering its a small gasket and saving costs is not a concern, I would go ot my local Suzuki dealer and have them order me a couple.

Earl

Originally posted by OneStaple
    Hey,

I have a 1980 GS550L - one of the models with the weird fuel petcock that has no reserve and only a screwdriver slot to turn between prime and on.

I need to get a new rubber gasket that seals between the petcock and the fuel tank and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to get it. The gasket is smaller than those on the "regular" petcocks and also has two additional pieces of rubber that create three sectons on the gasket instead of just the "regular" oval.

I've tried to get this petcock from Bike Bandit twice before. They don't list the right gasket for the 1980 GS550L and I've fought with them telling them that they have the wrong part listed, but they refuse to look into it. I managed to get the right part by ordering off a 1980 GS750L the first time, but they've since changed the schematics posted for that bike.

If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know.

Thanks!

--Tyler
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Pingel

I'd "bite the bullet" and switch over to a Pingel..unless you don't plan on keeping the bike for long. The 1980 petcocks are trouble-prone and don't have a reserve. I think if you try to fix it you will be spending good money after bad. 8O
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I just had to replace my seals on the pitcock for my '79 Gs 1000E and I had my local parts store order them from Suzuki, mine wernt expencive at all, the most expensive on mine was like $6 granted there are like 4 or five gaskets and seals in my pet cock but... I would go down to the shop and get a price.

Comment

The Suzuki store sounds like a good idea. I never bother with them usually, so I hadn't thought of that.

chuckycheese - I've considered switching to Pingel in the past, but I'd have to do a weird conversion. This petcock has never given me trouble and I only want to take it off so I can repaint the tank. Given my limited resources of money, I think I'll put off switching to Pingel for a little longer.

Thanks!

--Tyler

Comment

Pingel

Yeah, I don't blame you. The Pingels are expensive but I got really frustrated with my stock petcock because I kept having problems with gas leaking into my oil (also expensive! ).

I had read so many nasty comments about the 1980 petcocks here on the forum so I decided to go for it. By the way, if you did decide to get one, you would need the 50mm adapter plate which is readily available and easy to install. Hopefully, your stock petcock will keep working well.

Comment

Wow, I thought mine was broke and here it is just a bad design! A question then, could, and I say could, this be the reason my idling RPM's going up to 2000 after it warms up? A Pingel is in the cards but not until the winter. I have tried the spraying water technique and have noticed no reduction in RPM's. It also has a filter on it. Any suggestions? Thanks-Pete '80 1100L

Comment

Nope

I'm afraid that's not the fault of your petcock, Pete. By the way, what happens if you adjust your idle back down to about 1000 RPMs after it gets warmed up. When you rev it up and release the throttle, do the RPMs drop down slowly?

My guess is you may have a lean situation....which will probably be an easy fix (by adjusting your air screws).

Comment

Nothing is easy for this mechanically dis-inclined old man. But thanks for the info. Least I know where to start looking.-Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X