Old School Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old School Dealers

I hope you guys, and gals are lucky enough to be within driving distance of an old school dealer. You know, the kind of shop that is O&O by an old codger that's an enthusiast and a businessperson.

The kind of shop that still stocks parts instead of just being an ordering location.

The kind of place where you can take your bike for repairs, pay a fair price...ouch...but have the job done right.

The kind of shop where a mechanic or service manager will talk to you the same way the tech forum folks here will, and try to help you out. ( or try to make you forget your probs with a wise crack or two...who? ME?)

If you do, I recommend you do business with them. They are a dying breed.

I called Lee's Yammie, Kawolski, and Zook in Harrodsburg, KY this morning to see if they had my intake boot O rings in stock. Not only did they have them, but the young lady that helped me ran thru the testing procedure for a leaking O ring with out me even asking!

Shameless Plug? Well, maybe some could look at this that way. Me, I'm just thankful this dealer is only 33 miles away.

Darn, I wish I were closer to Harrodsburg, I haven't seen one of those dealers in 20 years. Ain't none around here.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I recommend Myers Cycle Engineering in the DC area. They are one of the only shops in the DC metro area that work on bikes older than 10 years old, and actually have a clue. Steve the owner is no nonsense and honest.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Yeah

How refreshing. I remember those kind of places. When I was growing up, the Honda dealer knew all the kids' names and was generous with his time and advice.

He also had a shooting range in back of his shop so you could sight in your rifle.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
          I recommend Myers Cycle Engineering in the DC area. They are one of the only shops in the DC metro area that work on bikes older than 10 years old, and actually have a clue. Steve the owner is no nonsense and honest.
          Dude, you gotta hook me up with their address.

Comment

Perhaps this could be a page on the GSR website? Kind of a regional GS friendly shop index.

I know here in Mesa, there's a parts/repair shop named Steves Cycle New & Used. They've been an invaluable source of information for me. One of their machanics even came out of the back to answer some questions for me when the clerk couldn't. It has a nice, family feel to the place from the time you step through the front door.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just appreciate it when somebody helps me out, and it seems like lately I've recieved tons of help and it's time to pass some on!

Comment

The local Suzi shop was like that until the owner left (not sure why). But there is Cycle Tech which is very good at working on UJM's and typically having parts and repair kits in stock. They're a little pricey but worth it if you are in need. When you walk into the shop you are greeted by a wall of new tires on racks. You look up and see old seat, tanks, exhausts, etc,... hanging from the ceiling. And there are newer and older bikes always for sale on the floor.

The other shop would be Cycle M which is a Kaw dealer, but the have a huge parts department that has a lot of aftermarket stuff. Their just slow.

Brad tt

Comment

Myers Cycle Engineering
                10529 Summit Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895
                (301) 897-0050
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Not a huge parts place, but if you are in a bind... he is the one to go to.
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Jim,
                    You are correct. I have used Lees for years!! Last time I ordered something from them they had it sittin on my door step the very next day.

You do know that Lee has several old gs's don't you? Let us just say they will fly!! :P

Great shop!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
                      You do know that Lee has several old gs's don't you? Let us just say they will fly!! :P

Great shop!
                      No, I didn't. Guess that's why they know 'em so well!

Comment

I had a Suzuki dealer in Hinsdale NH, right across the river from Brattleboro, VT that not only had sold 83 1100's back in 1983 but had sold 1976 GT250 back in 1976
                        Very rare to find most in a dealership that can work on our classics let alone has sold them. 8) 8) 8)

Robust Sales & Service
                        290 Brattleboro Road, Hinsdale, NH, 03451-2335
                        Phone Number: 603/336-7711

Hours: Mon-Thurs 9-5:30, Fri 9-7, Sat 9-3, Sun Closed
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                        X