Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank sealer peeling

Hello,
    About 3 years ago, I had some rust developing in my tank, so had a shop put some tank sealer in. I think they used the Kreem it looks somewhat like flesh color. Well I've been trying for the past 5 months to try and figure why my bike hasn't been running, and when dumping out the gas noticed the tank sealer peeling off inside the tank. I pulled out about 1/3 a cup of peels so far, and was able to get my bike running again, with some new gas but barely. The tank fuel filter and petcock look fine. Anyone have any recommendations on making sure I have all of the peels out? in looking from where the fuel gauge sending unit is and from down in the tank fill I don't see any peeling occurring.

If you want to remove the Kreem you will need acetone to wash it out or disolve the kreem. I have just Kreemed one of my tanks, I have used this product before with no problems.. I did discuss it with another GS owner and he recommended a product called POR-15 to reseal the tank.

Simon

Comment

Sounds like they did a half-a$$ed job on sealing your tank. I'd take the bike to them and complain, first. If they don't offer a reasonable solution, then try and strip the Kreem as suggested and buy a Kreem kit and do it yourself. They probably didn't do a decent job of removing the rust or water from your tank before they applied the Kreem solution. The kit will take a few days from start to finish, but the results should last a long time.

Brad tt

Comment

I kreemed a tank I had painted recently, if you take care it works well, I left the convertor sit in the tank for a week before applying the Kreem.
        I have a tank that I Kreemed around 15 yrs ago still going strong..

Comment

I would like to take it back to them but they are not around anymore. Correct they did do a pi$$ poor job, some of the acid they used to clean the tank ate away some of the paint, by getting under it somehow near the gas cap.

Thanks for the help :-)

Comment

The Kreem usually fails because of a rushed job & not enough prep

Comment

Observations on tank sealing

You may have other issues than the peels. Don't fixate on them. When was the last time you cleaned and synced your carbs? I usually do this once ever year.

I aggree with those that say strip the tank. There is nothing better than starting clean.

My preference on sealer however is not the Kreem product though. The POR15 store has a product that I believe is called something like US Tank Sealer. I have tried both, and over a about a twenty year timeframe the US stuff has held up much better.

As for stripping the insde of the tank, I recently striped the Kreem stuff completely off the inside of a tank with Chem Dip parts cleaner. It was stuff that had seen many uses and was no longer suitable for carb parts. I threw it the tank with some SS nuts and bolts. I plugged all openings and swished the stuff around, set the tank down in a set tub at different angles over a couple of days. Clean as a whistle. You will need a magnet to get the nuts and bolts out.

Comment

Working...
              X