what is the model of my GS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the model of my GS ?

sorry, I've read the sheet with the years/modes/etc and I understand nothing

I've a 750 but there are E, ET, EZ .....

it seems it's important to order exhaust

my bike is a GSX750L and it seems to be a '80

engine number is gs75X-101nnn (everybody always told me never give whole numbers on Internet, perhaps is somewhere a link in a db between my engine number and my VISA)

tia

V++
    Rackham

I would suggest looking at the gallery on this site to see if you recognize your bike. The year should be listed on the badge on the head tube (steering tube). If this is missing you might want to call a dealer with your VIN# and see if he can determine the year.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: what is the model of my GS ?

Originally posted by rackham
      sorry, I've read the sheet with the years/modes/etc and I understand nothing

I've a 750 but there are E, ET, EZ .....

it seems it's important to order exhaust

my bike is a GSX750L and it seems to be a '80

engine number is gs75X-101nnn (everybody always told me never give whole numbers on Internet, perhaps is somewhere a link in a db between my engine number and my VISA)

tia

V++
      Rackham
      You probably have a GSX750LT..the "T" indicates the year of manufacture, the "L" indicates it is the cruiser model, the "X" means it was sold outside the USA, and the "GS" means it is a damn fine motorcycle!

Look at this link...Frank has put together a very good guide to GS model identification here.

Hap

Comment

Yes, it sounds like an '80 GS(GSX)750LT. Engine number confirms 1980. Don't buy an exhaust for an E model, the baffle may not bolt up to your frame.
        Axel

Comment

great !

txs everybody

I've also an answer for a non yet posted question : with a "T" one, what kind of exhaust ? is "ET" ok ?

some remarks :

* my bike is probably (read surely) a rebuided one, with a lot of pieces founded here and there, the tank is whole black, there is a added "home made" sissybar , pipes of the airbox are surely not legacy, steering bar is a "T" bar, etc..., so I can only trust the engine and frame #, not a picture gallery

* exhaust is now a 4 in 1 instead , to be replaced, probably by a 4 in 1 too

* I'll surely never become "picture of the month" with this bike )

V++
          Rackham

Comment

The ET is the same year as your bike but has a different frame. The four pipes coming out of the cylinder head are the same, but the mounting bracket for the rear baffle (muffler) may be different. You should try to find an exhaust made for your model. Have you checked with Kirker, Vance & Hines, or Yoshimura?
            Axel

Comment

Originally posted by axel
              The ET is the same year as your bike but has a different frame. The four pipes coming out of the cylinder head are the same, but the mounting bracket for the rear baffle (muffler) may be different. You should try to find an exhaust made for your model. Have you checked with Kirker, Vance & Hines, or Yoshimura?
              Axel
              the mounting on the frame is not the mather, I can make my own mounting bracket

the most important is the mounting of the pipes on the engine

the actual exhaust is a 4 in 1 but I cannot change the muffler, it's a all in one exhaust

I'm now looking for something in western europe (cheapest for transport cost )

V++
              Rackham

Comment

I checked the Vance & Hines website and they do show one for '80-'81 GS750L.
                Axel

Comment

Working...
                X