No announcement yet.

1980 gs550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many shims are there? In the shim spec table it lists measurements for 20...?

Comment

8 shim's, odd's on you will be looking at size's between 2.50-2.80.
      See how you go though!

Comment

I see here that you are supposed to torque the "Cylinder Head Nuts, both End Bolts and the bolt between the center exhaust"I don't see those listed in my torque guide. The closest thing I see are the Engine Mounting Bolts. I was also reading a different topic and they said having the airbox mounted is very important because it will suck too much air. Is that still true w/o correct filter. Like I mentioned earlier, I think mine is just a sponge mophead. THANX!

Comment

The torque spec's should be towards the end of the engine section in your manual.
          And remember you are only taking off the cam cover ,dont loosen any other bolt's, you are not removeing the cylinder head.
          If you do not have the air filter box it will upset the carby mix,which gives you 2 option's,buy a used filter box and new filter, or install pod filter's (maybe that's what you mean by"sponge mop head") and change the jetting in the carby's.
          I would recomend the first option, but if you go with option 2 you will find someone here with a 550 who has done the same thing,which would be great,
          otherwise it's a lot of trial and error/time/money.
          Good luck.

Comment

The air box is OEM. The "filter" inside is just like the sponge mophead that you can pull the handle and squeeze...not a very good description. It doesn't "fit" into the box.
            As far as the torqueing, I believe I'm just sposed to make sure everything is tight for the measurements. But thanx! I did find it. It told me to look in table 4, when actually it's table 1. But that answered that question!

Comment

Funny! from your description it does sound like a mophead! If it does not fit properly ,my guess is that it's the wrong one.
              There should be a picture in you book to give you an idea of what it look's like.
              You can still get air filter's for these bike's.

Comment

Well, reading this Clymer to find a pic of the filter element, I found I was supposed to have a cover on my box as well....Would that affect my performance? There was never a cover on the box when I got it.

Comment

Yep, need the cover.

Comment

Working...
                  X