WIRING CONFUSION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIRING CONFUSION

Ok, so I picked up my new Briggs and stratton starter solenoid for $14cdn (thanks guys) and have the main battery power wire and starter wires hooked up, but there is still the smaller connection on the bottom of the solenoid that has to have a wire connected. I know that the ignition relay or whatever its called goes there, but here is the problem. There is a red wire coming off the top of the fuse box that has one fuse. Where should this wire go? What should be connected to the bottom terminal of the same fuse box? Also, there are 3 wires that are exiting on the right side of the bike, one is green with a yellow stripe (connected) another is yellow with a green stripe that isnt connected and the last is black with a white stripe that has an O connection on the end. Where should these last 2 wires be connected to? Any help you guys can give me would be greatlye appreciated. Thanks

Gavin
    P.S. the starter solenoid grounds out on the air cleaner box right?

Buy a voltmeter, they provide wonderful information.

The black white with loop is probably a ground wire, but to be sure follow it back from whence it came. Yellow with green usually goes to the starter solenoid. i think the black white is used to ground the starter solenoid, it provids a good ground connection for it.

green with yellow is a mystery, a voltmeter might help figure out what it does, whereas the red with fuse may be an add on from a Previous Owner and might be irrelevant
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Nothing's tougher than trying to figure out wiring that you didn't undo or that was fouled up by someone just as confused as you are. The best bet is to get a wiring diagram for your bike, preferably out of a factory service manual, and study it until you are cross-eyed. On my bike there is no ignition relay. "Relay" and "solenoid" are two names for the same thing, the heavy duty switch that turns on the starter. The heavy red positive or hot wire from the battery goes to the starter relay, the heavy hot wire from the starter goes to the other side of the relay. These two posts cannot be grounded! Sparks will happen if you accidentally touch the red battery wire with something grounded. Spontaneous inadvertent arc welding which will raise your heart rate and make you jump involuntarily! The heavy black neg/ground wire from the battery goes to the motor (at least on my bike). The neg. wire from the starter probably goes to ground somewhere. The green/yellow wire goes up thru the harness to the starter button, which when pressed completes the circuit to ground causing the starter relay to close, turning on the starter. I may be wrong about that; the other possiblilty is that the green/yellow wire carries +12V to the relay when the button is pressed. There is also the added complication of the clutch interlock switch which on my bike means the clutch has to be pulled in before the starter will work, even if the bike is in neutral. This can be bypassed (removed from the circuit) or defeated by permanently closing the clutch interlock switch (cut the wires off the switch and solder them together).

On my bike the red power supply wire from the RR goes thru a single inline 10A fuse (the only fuse on the bike) and shares the connector on the starter relay with the heavy red pos. battery wire. It doesn't have anything to do with the starter circuit but this is the only path for power from the charging circuit to get back into the battery.

Welcome to the wacky world of wiring woes. If you think the starter circuit is complicated try wrapping your brain around the turn signal indicator circuit! One light on the "dash" lights up when either the left OR right turn signals are on. I never woud have figured that one out without a wiring diagram...

Best wishes getting your bike road-worthy. Try to be patient and get it done right. It's hard I know, with the summer wearing on and good riding time passing by with a non-running bike in the garage. Been there done that!

Comment

Gavin, hang in there bro'. We're getting close.

Forget all about that red wire that gose to the fuse box and it's connections. It is just a power outlet for things like a radio, heated vest or whatever. You don't worry about wall sockets in the house, right? Don't worry about this one either, that is all it is. Trust me. I own one of these bikes and I'm sitting here with the wiring diagram.

That Green/Yellow wire goes to the small connection on your solenoid.

Yes, the solenoid grounds out to the airbox and that is where the black and white wire with the O connector goes. If the 'O' does not fit it may be because the B&S solenoid only has the one connection where the Zooki used two.

You'll get her runnin' just don't get impatient.

Comment

The green/yellow wire is connected to something already, where as the yellow/green one is the loose connection that Im trying to figure out. The black/white wire with the O connection should go where on the solenoid? and what is it for?

Comment

Turbo - I know nothing about Suzuki wiring but a starter solenoid is a switch that is activated by a voltage. When the switch is open, nothing happens. When closed, power goes from the positive battery connection on the one lug to the other lug where the starter wire is. There will be another wire on the solenoid. It is the trigger that closes the switch. To figure out which wire this is, keep in mind that your power will run from the battery to fuse to ignition switch, through kill switch and then TO THE STARTER BUTTON. Open your right hand switchgear and see what color the wire is that comes OFF the starter button. The one coming TO the starter button will come from the kill switch just above it. The wire OUT is the one that will travel back to the solenoid. When you push the button and the key is on and the kill switch in the on position, voltage hits the starter solenoid and closes the switch that allows voltage from the battery to flow across to the starter. This continues until you release the starter button. When you figure what wire comes from the button, you will know what connects to the trigger wire connector. On some solenoids there is also a ground wire. This generally connects to the ground associated with the regulator or regulator/rectifier but can go to a frame ground.

Comment

The black white wire goes under one of the bolts that mounts the solenoid. The idea is to provide a ground for the metal case. The case of the solenoid is then part of the circuit. Since they are not always mounted on metal or attached to the frame the little wire with the metal loop is there to "ground" the solenoid.

use a light bulb as a tester. Connect a 12 volt bulb, like a turn signal bulb and socket, by touching one wire (matters not which one) to the metal of the bike frame and the other wire to the loose wire. Hit the starter switch and see if it lights. If not, try other switches and buttons and see what makes it light.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Turns out the yellow/green one is the one for the solenoid. All thats left to do is hook it up, bolt everything back in place, finish cleaning the tank, and then see if she starts!
                Hope to get it running sometime this week. Thanks again

Gavin

Comment

Working...
                X