HELP 1980 gs1100e blinker relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP 1980 gs1100e blinker relay

I think my blinker relay is shot, When I turn left the blinker works fine but when i try to turn on the right single the relay just vibrates and makes a clicking sound, do you think that its the relay or the switch, and if its the relay does any one have one with shipping its 50 bucks from bike bandit I would just asume buy a used one of it was available
    Thanks
    Rob Spector

Any cheap auto indicator relay will do the same job, about $2.
    Just choose one with the same amount of connection's.
    But as it's only one side that's not working, it has to be a bad earth, switch or wiring.

Comment

gspaul provided sound advice. Check your grounds on the turn signals... I would also like to point out that often the original spec bulbs are not in use... the old Stanley bulbs are hard to find and folks will use more modern type 1156 and 1157 auto bulbs. These have different electrical values and the old turn signals relay won't like this. When you look at the base of your relay, you will note that there are two prong type connectors arrayed in an L type fasion. This is why a car flasher relay works fine as older cars used the same type L arrangement meaning the connectors are the same. If you used modern bulbs, a new and standard relay may not be the answer. Buy a "Heavy Duty" relay which is rated for "trailer towing". These have a wider ability to handle different electrical loads and will compensate for the newer style bulbs. Your problem does sound like faulty ground wires though..

Comment

where would i check the ground, in the switch or follow the wires from the relay down?

Comment

I don't know much about Suzukis but the ground is generally off the bulb holder on most bikes. Go to the bulb. The holder has two wires. One is hot and goes to the relay eventually but the other will ground somewhere close... usually a washer type thing on the end of the wire goes around the turn signal stalk and grounds between the stalk and headlight shell in the front and between stalk and frame in the back...

Comment

Working...
          X