tach attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach attack?

I have a 1980 GS 550L and it seems that the tach neddle bounces around alot at higher RPM and on bumpy roads from around 3-9,000 RPM. Any ideas what causes this? Maybe the cable or the tach itself is worn out? Thanks.

:?

Two points: 1) Try removing the tach, turning it over and putting a little light oil into the hole where the cable end goes. 2) Check to make sure the drive end (engine end) isn't spinning on the cable itself.

My tach was acting up like yours, and a loose end piece was the problem. I thoroughly cleaned and degreased the parts and stuck them back together with good ol' JB Weld. It's been holding for at least 3,000 miles so far and works fine.

The oil in the drive cable hole has helped to stabilize the needles in both my tach and speedometer. I'm assuming that you've already cleaned and lubed the cable.

Comment

Yeah, I've got the same tach. Mine is just getting old. Will not hold a steady reading.

Does have its advantages, though. If I don't like the reading I just reach up and whack it one! New reading is coming right up!

Comment

The cable is probably worn out. They don't cost much and they are easy to change. You can take the cable off and pull the insides out for cleaning, lubing, and reassembly. If the inner part won't come out you could try pouring oil into the cable but putting new parts on a bike is more fun.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X