1982 GS1100E hard to shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100E hard to shift

I bought a 1982 GS1100E last year. It was working great until today! It only has 34,000 Kilometers. When I am shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it just doesnt' shift. I have to rev the engine and go fast and slow then it will shift for me. Then when I'm down shifting, everything is ok from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd; however it just won't downshift into 1st. I have to play with the gears and eventually it will go. Nothing like this was happening until today. I checked to see if my oil was low. It was and I topped it up. It shifted a little bit better; however, it was still doing what I explained above. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do easy thing's first, if you have not changed your oil in a while ,do that, double check your clutch cable operation and adjustment.
    Don't we all hope it's something easy?
    Oh! a stuffed chain can effect gearchange!

Comment

sound advice from down under. Just watch where you stuff the parts. stuffed????

I supose that is the correct Englsh that yanks have distorted and changed to the word defective???

Comment

Are you stalking me?('8O')Because IF you are...........................................
        \/'...........................It's OK just lke to know!

Comment

Originally posted by displaced
          sound advice from down under. Just watch where you stuff the parts. stuffed????

I supose that is the correct Englsh that yanks have distorted and changed to the word defective???
          Defective= knackered

Comment

Defective=knackered, Rocky your hanging around to many English people.

Comment

She as been to England and works for a Brittish company.
              So?? in england, knockers means defective????

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
                Are you stalking me?('8O')Because IF you are...........................................
                \/'...........................It's OK just lke to know!
                I just get a kick out of the great sense of humor that you bushman have.

Australia is sort of a fantasy of mine.

Comment

I have a fantasy to...........................OK not quite the same as
                  your's!

Comment

Look at all this riff-raff. The poor guy asks a question and you clog his thread with pointless banter! :? I guess it's unavoidable...

There are a few possible causes to this problem. As mentioned earlier, yes- try the simple stuff first. The oil can make a difference. The chain tension can affect it also, make sure it isn't too tight! The clutch cable needs to be adjusted exactly like the manual states, with the required lever free play being very important.

The bad things it could be I'll avoid talking about as most require the cases to be split. Let's hope it's a simple fix.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sorry, It's displaced fault, I did start of trying to do the right thing..............................He make's me laugh!

Comment

Working...
                      X