Accel coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accel coils

I know this has probably been asked a 100 times already and I apologize for not finding the answer.
    Will Accel coils off a 89 GSXR 750/1000 work on my 79 GS 850? I just don't want to spend $ on what wont fit or burn something up.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Accel coils

Originally posted by scotto58
    I know this has probably been asked a 100 times already and I apologize for not finding the answer.
    Will Accel coils off a 89 GSXR 750/1000 work on my 79 GS 850? I just don't want to spend $ on what wont fit or burn something up.

Thanks

Scott
    Chance are slim that they will work. The GSXR has a electronic ignition while the GS850 has a points type ignition. 99% of the time these two systems require different primary resistance values for the coils. This is not critical on your bike but it can cause damage on a bike with an electronic ignition.

Hap

Hap

Comment

They will work fine The accel coils should be 3 ohms which will work. I have 3 ohm dyna coils on my 79GS850 with points What I did was install a 2 ohm balist resistor in the 12v line to the coils 3+2= 5 ohms

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        They will work fine The accel coils should be 3 ohms which will work. I have 3 ohm dyna coils on my 79GS850 with points What I did was install a 2 ohm balist resistor in the 12v line to the coils 3+2= 5 ohms
        That's a nice trick! What wattage should he use?

Hap

Comment

I used one from a 70's Chrysler product --Ign balist resistor, mounted it on top of the breather cover with a few washers & longer bolt

Comment

If money isn't an issue, now might be a good time to consider upgrading your points ignition to a dyna electronic unit.

Jeff

Comment

Hap, the real trick will be finding a ballast resistor. Go into an autoparts store and ask them if they have any (of ANY value). They will look at you like you are nuts... Accel recommends using ballast resistors but their support folk can't tell you where to buy one. You would think they would sell them...

Comment

Reread it Go to the auto parts an ask for a ign balast resistor
                for a 70's chrysler,dodge/ply OR You could also go to an elect supply
                I would get a 2 ohm 20 watt resistor or even a 25 if they have it.
                The chrysler part already has a mounting hole Mine has been like that for a year now If I ever install the Dyna ign I have I will just remove the resistor because I allready have the 3 ohm coils.
                I have put over 15K miles on my 850 with the points
                Without any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so don't be so fast to condeme the points. The Dyna works VERY good to replaced a crapped out stock electronic ign setup

Comment

If you're referencing my post Lynn I think that you're reading too much into it. I have tremendous respect for the role that points played in powering the antiques of yesteryear. Also, I fondly remember from the 70's and 80's how much better my own machines would perform immediately following a points replacement.

Condemnation? Hardly.

Comment

Working...
                  X