Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

centering rear wheel

How do I check the wheel alignment? 85 GS 700E

I finally put the bike back together after tearing the whole rear suspension apart thanks to the brake lever shaft seizing up. But anyways I rode it up and down my street and I had to fight the bike to keep it going straight. I have been having nothing but trouble with the bike this year and was hoping that someone local might be able to stop by. The other problem is the carbs are not tuned anymore, they probably need to be cleaned again. I live in bethesda, md if anyone is nearby.

You can use string lines, but I allway's used anything with a good straight edge.

Comment

Do an internet searh on motorcycle string wheel alignment. It will take you to a site where you can learn how to use the technique for alignment.

Comment

My swing arms have lines engraves in them above the slot for the axle. There is a notch in the top of each adjuster. When you install the rear wheel get the axle snug but with enough slack so that when you turn the adjusters the axle will slide. The chain must be too loose at this point. Turn each adjuster enough so that they are both set on the same swing arm mark. Now turn adjuster 1/2 to one turn (90 to 180 degrees) each. Check to see if the chain is tight enough. If not turn each adjuster the same amount again and repeat until the chain is tensioned properly. Check to see that the notches on the adjusters are still on the same lines. If so tighten the axle nut, install the cotter pin and your ready to go. Remember that when you adjust the chain it is always adjusted when the tensioned is the greatest.

There are several after market tools that can allow you to get the wheel absolutely straight. I would have bought one but this method has always resulted in the bike running straight and not caused abnormal tire wear.

Or is it carter pin?

Comment

Working...
        X