Before I try to start her up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I try to start her up...

Before I try and start my bike for the first time I need a few quetions answered. I have varsol/paint thinner in my tank right now. Is this the best substance for cleaning out my tank or should I rinse it out with something else before I put gas in there? Also, since Im cheap and dont want to spring for $50 battery, I was thinking of taking the battery out of my car and trying to start it. The battery is 550cca. Is this a good idea, or will I more than likely destroy something. If it is ok to jump it with my car battery, will the bike stay running when the battery is disconnected or does it need a battery in place? A couple of other non-related questions are: what is a RR and stator? I have heard these mentioned numerous times and Im still confused as to what they are. Thanks a bunch guys.
    Gavin

Drain your tank and let it air dry real good..
    DO NOT use a car batery it will fry your RR/Stator.

The RR/Stator are basically the charging system for your motorcycle, the stator sends juice in the form of AC to your RR where it is converted to DC for charging your battery, the remaining juice is dissipated as heat through the fins on your RR.

The RR is located near your battery usually and is silver wtih fins for cooling (it gets hot while it is doing its job). The stator is under your left engine cover and is bathed in oil to help cool it.

Do things right the first time, this will be a big moment, do not be in a rush to start her up or you will more then likely make more work for yourself in the long run.

You need to spring for a good battery and keep it tendered (Battery Tender plus is my preference), this mwill assure that it stays charged while you are not riding.

If your charging system is in question you should look at the 'Stato pages' found on this website in the 'in the garage' link (lower left under technical). It is the place to diagnose a problem charging system.

Your bike will stay running after it starts but it is not recommended to do this, if it dies it will not start again. Lastly do not ever jump start your bike from a car, it will eventually destroy your charging system.

Take your time and do it right, bite the bullet and start with a fully charged, new battery after you diagnose your charging system.

One more thing, Electrex makes aftermarket Stators and RR's, they are spendy but they will perform fantastic giving you peace of mind while out in the middle of nowhere.

Good Luck

Scud

Comment

The car battery should be fine. The car's charging system would kill the electrical system on the bike in short order.

Comment

If the car battery is fully charged it will not cause a problem, if the battery is low, the stator and regulator are not up to the task of charging a large battery and that would not be good.

To be on the safe side I would connect the car battery, but disconnect the red wire from the RR so that it does not try to charge the car battery. Tape any bare wire and go for it. That car battery will run that engine for hours because the current draw of the bike is relatively small.

my .02
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

RR/stator

The RR is the regulator/rectifier. It rectifies the AC voltage put out by the stator which is like a generator or alternator on a car (it's not exactly the same but close enough to gain understanding). So it turns it into a DC voltage and limits the voltage (or regulates it) to a level that will charge the battery but not fry the electrical components.

Now, having said all that, I would NOT jump with a car battery. I was in the habit of doing that because I did not want to spring for the bike battery either. Needless to say (or maybe I do need to say) I have replaced both the stator and the regulator/rectifier because of my ignorance. You should be able to find a battery for less than 50 bucks, closer to 30. It is not worth risking damage to the system. Read the stator papers. New stators are definitely more than 50 bucks.

Comment

I've jump started my bike off car batteries many times with no ill effects. Just don't start the car.

Comment

I've jumpstarted my bike with a car battery many a time without knowing the danger. Now my bike is no chargie...
              But I do recall the engine running a time or two while jumping it. Not good.

Comment

well it appears we have a bit of controversy here. What I am planning on doing is taking the battery clean OUT of my car and using jumper cables from the battery to the bike. This bike was a freebie, so im not too concerned about taking shortcuts, but I dont want to destroy anything expensive. Im just doing this so I can see if she will at least crank over, because she has been sitting for 13 years or so. I definately will not jump start the bike with a car running, or even with the battery in the car.
                Does this clarify a little bit? Thanks
                Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_charged00
                  Im just doing this so I can see if she will at least crank over, because she has been sitting for 13 years or so.
                  Gavin,

I don't know which side it would be on you bike (I'm pretty new at this too) but I'd pull whichever cover you need to off the engine and put a wrench on the crank to turn it over by hand.

Pull the plugs, put some oil in the bores...maybe a tablespoon of motor oil or marvel mystery oil and then try to turn it over by hand (in the right direction! 8O ) before you ever try to start it up. The idea is to lube the cylinder walls and try to get some oil up in the head and valve train where it should be.

You might want to drain over fill the oil and let it sit for a bit before turning it by hand, this might get some oil into the main bearings.... oil is cheap, bearings are not.

Drain or syphon out the excess before you try to really start it. I forgot and we'll just say she ran a little funny at first.

/\/\ac

Comment

I dont know about tearing part of the motor off, but i will definately put some oil in the cylinders. I had to resurrect my car from sitting for 5 years so I know the procedure pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_charged00
                      I dont know about tearing part of the motor off, but i will definately put some oil in the cylinders. I had to resurrect my car from sitting for 5 years so I know the procedure pretty well.
                      Well its pretty simple, at least on a 750. A few bolts and the stator cover was off, add wrench, spin.

Good luck!

/\/\ac

Comment

It's not the stoator cover you want to pull. It's the small cover on the right side of the engine that covers the points or ignition signal generators. Only three bolts and no gasket. Just be careful spinning the engine with a wrench not to hit the signal generators. You can screw up ignition timing that way.

Comment

Working...
                        X