Electrical probs w/ a '77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical probs w/ a '77 GS750

I have recently acquired a '77 GS750 for $350 (first bike) which was in storage for 6-8 years, although it seems to be in good shape, good compression, turns over, etc. I am trying to get her running, and have been unable to get any spark. I have installed a set of Accel coils, as the stock units were dead, as far as we could determine. I was told that some "kid" had been looking at buying it before I did, and he tried to get it running. What he did, I know not. I have a buddy of mine who's pretty up on bikes of the era helping me out, but he hasn't figured it out yet. I think it might have something to do with the wiring. There are a couple of plugs in the harness (light colored "square shaped") not connected to anything, and of course there's a good chance things are connected to places they're not supposed to be connected to. I have a Clymer's for the bike, but I don't have much experience w/ wiring diagrams or elec. probs. I wanted to see if some kind soul out there might have a digicam and a similar year GS750, who would be willing and able to take a number of pictures of the wiring on the bike, so I might better comprehend where everything goes, and get this bugger sorted out. Or, if anyone has a 750 in the Rockford, IL area, I could come to you. Other than that, I'll solicit any thoughts and ideas that you might deem helpful. Thank you very much,

Ryan
    aeronca7@xta.com

Check for power at the coils, I think the brown should have 12V. Pull the timing cover off from the right side of the motor and check with a test light that you have power to the points. Turn the motor over and check that the power stops when the points are on the high spot of the cam. Your kill switch isn't off is it? Let us know if you have power to the points and we can go from there. Bob

Comment

update

Well, been tinkering for bit (interesting, in a dimly lit ancient garage this time of year in N. IL), and I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. After much worshipping at the Altar of Ye Olde Clymer Wiring Diagram, and absorbing the knowledge contained within, I found that the wires from the points to the coils were shorted; that is, the section going from near the battery to the coils....the wire is two parts, w/ bullet connectors midway. The coils were also hooked up improperly, but that's another story. So I sorted out the wiring to the coils, and bypassed the shorted section of wire (it's wrapped up in the main harness). Still nothing. Decided to set the point gap and time it. Set the gap for the Cyl. 1-4 breaker (which was opening a ridiculously large amount, and barely closing), cranked it, and bang, spark at that breaker. Stick some plugs in the plug wires, and SPARK! Hoo-ha!

Went to set the timing, and no matter which way I moved the breaker plate, I had continuity on the meter. Well, when turning over the engine with a wrench on the bolt at the end of the crank, I had moved the condenser and point wires out of the way. When I did I had heard a snap. The insulation on the coil-point wires cracked, thereby shorting out that section of wire. So I pulled that whole wire out, the section running underneath the engine and up to the bullet connectors, and from the connectors to the coils. Made a new wire whilst watching football this weekend, and after installing that piece, hopefully I can proceed with gapping and timing without further interruption, and if all goes well my baby might run. Just wanted to post an update....and say thanks for the previous advice, Bob.

Ryan

Comment

Problem found and Happy New Year to everybody!!!!!

Glad to hear you found the problem. By the way, hope everyone's Christmas was well and Happy New Year, Bob

Comment

Ryan, Where in Rockford do you live? I don't live there anymore (washington state now), but I did (Prairie Ave, don't laugh). I still have alot of family in the Rockford and Freeport area, and go back every now and then. Took my wife back last January, and was surprised not to see but about an inch of snow on the ground. Good luck with your 750

Comment

Where I live

I live off Jackson St, which is off Prospect, near the Rural Oaks Hilander (5-way intersection). Nice area. Can't say I know off-hand where Praire is...I grew up in Belvidere, so I'm not familiar with all of Rockford yet. Most, but not all. :P

It's been pretty mild this year so far. Had some snow in late fall, but not much recently. It was almost 60 degress yesterday. I like nice weather, but it is winter, so some snow would be nice.

Ryan

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to y'all.

Comment

Prairie Ave is the West end off Main st. Not too far from the Metro Center. My uncle retired from the Chrysler dealer there in Belvidere.

60!!!???, I woke up to snow yesterday, I think our states are confused! Actually the snow is gone now, and it's about 50 , the weather here can't make up it's mind.

Comment

Working...
              X