Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna Ignition Question

Hi all,
    Got a 82 GS 550L want to put a Dyna Ignition into,but the spec only goes to 1981.Does anyone know if it'll fit my 82?

thanx
    Joe

Re: Dyna Ignition Question

Originally posted by GS Joey
    Hi all,
    Got a 82 GS 550L want to put a Dyna Ignition into,but the spec only goes to 1981.Does anyone know if it'll fit my 82?

thanx
    Joe
    I would say that the GS550 from 1978 to 1982 is the same beast except for the carbs which are not related to your question, and my manual only differenciates between the 550 78-82 (round valve cover 4 carb) and 1983 new style full floater rear suspension with 2, 2 barrel carbs. go on to the dyna web site and check applicability or get a phone number from their site and talk to dyna directly (google dyna). Did your stock ignition fail? if its still good (82 has electronic ignition) you might wanna just upgrade the coils (dyna) and wires and caps, it would probly meet your performance needs and starting ease. I put dyna coils on my 82 GS550 for a nice improvement.

Comment

Stock Ignitor is working intermittaintly,I may get the coils as well if budget allows. Thanks for the reply!
      Joe

Comment

If you install the Dyna Ignition you might need to also install a mechanical advance. The 1982 year might have an electronic advance stock. As I understand it the mechanical advance is an easy retrofit to a Bike that dosent have it to begin with.

Comment

If your ign is still working I would take it apart and check for bad solder connections on the ign circuit board

Comment

From what bike could you pull the mech advance unit from, to put into a 81 GS1100EX bike? Thanks all
            Chris

Comment

1977 -1979 750 and 850 mechanical adance units will fit 1980-1985 16 valve 1100/1150. I have done those changes, so its a fact, they will work. Others will probably also, but I havent tried them.

Earl

Originally posted by SPORTBIKER
              From what bike could you pull the mech advance unit from, to put into a 81 GS1100EX bike? Thanks all
              Chris
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
              X