Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper/Outer Fork Bushings

Hi:

I have an '81 GS1100E and am rebuilding my forks.

To prevent future leaks, I need to replace my upper/outer fork bushings.

The Suzuki Factory no longer makes them, Bike Bandit has discontinued them, and I went to shop who said he can order these and he can't.

2 options - can I reverse the bushings so that the impact spots are "fresh" - I'm afraid to twist them out as they seem pretty stuck in and there is little lip left from which to grab them. If I screw them up, I'm SOL.

Anyone know where I can get new ones, or anyone who can fabricate them?

Has anyone had similar experience? What did you do?

Please advise.

ANDY

Andy,

Are you referring to BUSHINGS (metal with low friction material) or SEALS (rubber/vinyl coated metal)? Regardless, I ordered and received both sets of bushings and a set of seals from Lombard Suzuki over the winter. I kept the packages with part numbers. Maybe you have a bad part number or are referring to the wrong part. Can you post a pic?

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Bushings

Metal with low-friction covering - the upper bushings have worn through the low friction coating and are showing bronze / gold color.

I was able to order all other parts (seals, o-rings, dust cover), but was told your '83 has different bushings than my '81 - and the '81 forks were only built for the 1100E model for 2 yrs. so parts may be hard to find.

Will call Lombard Suzuki anyway - may get lucky, but a mechanic friend already called his sources and couldn't locate any new ones. Of course, he is a snowmobile and dirt bike mechanic (primarily), but he's more tech-capable than I am.

ANDY

Comment

I would try ebay for a different set of forks they have allot of parts for old Suzuki's on there I ordered allot over the winter. Andy

Comment

Fork Brushings - Found them

Thanks.

A mechanic I know found the parts via an aftermarket supply shop. Will provide name when I track him down and get details.

ANDY

Comment

Working...
          X