No announcement yet.

my 530 conversion info (FYI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering the same thing. If you do, then why is that any different than just grabbing a catalog like TuckerRocky and ordering the parts for the 530 conversion the normal way?

Comment

Yes you still need the spacer in the front.

Comment

Geoff,
        I did this on my S almost 2 years ago.
        No problems at all.
        Stock gearing, and I used steel sprockets and an RK o-ring chain.
        I've got at least 5K on them, adjusted it a couple of times.
        Mostly when i changed to a new rear tire.

I've been using Maxima chain wax on he new chain.
        I ride more 2 up than you also, not meant as a dig, just making a statement about usage.

Did he screw up and not install a spacer to align the front sprocket?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Ahhhh, wanted to gear the bike lower for more acceleration huh? :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by HiSPL
          Just FYI....

I just ordered a set of chain/sprockets and wanted to change gearing a little. What I found out was that the '97 to '05 Bandit 1200 uses the same sprockets front and rear that you need. I went with a 17/50 combo for a 3.0 ratio. Stock is 2.77. That's like going up 2 teeth on the rear.

This should work for all GS's that came stock with a 630 size chain. It is MUCH easier to search for Bandit sprockets than it is to find a 530 conversion for the dinosaur. Plus you can choose from all the cool new chains and fancy aluminum sprockets if you wish....

HTH....
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

That's the ticket, Earl. I commute 5 days a week. In town driving means I hardly get the revs up above 3000 the way it is. Plus I'm used to the 750 where you had to rev it pretty good to make it go. It feels like it's undergeared to me, I want it to feel more like the 750 but with torque!

Comment

Working...
            X