No announcement yet.

Electrical problem? Don't think it's stator or R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.2 volts is close to a dead battery. 12.5 volts is aprox a 40% charge in the battery and 13.2 is 100%.

You said the good cylinders 2,3 were only getting 10.2 volts to the coils. Minimum acceptable voltage to the coils is about 12 volts. At 10.2 I'm surprised it will run at all on those two cylinders.
    The 2,3 coil with readings of 5.5 ohms and 30K ohms is close to being in spec but I tend not to accept close as good enough.

The 1,4 coil with readings of 5.1 and fluctuating between 23k and 50K I would consider faulty.

I would be looking to replace both coils and all four plug caps.

With the excessive voltage drop you have between voltage at the battery terminals and at the Orange/white power wire for the coils, I would replace the wire to get the voltage within specs. You will need a wiring diagram so you can check voltage at various points in the harness to find out where you are losing power. Alternatively, you could bypass the original ignition wiring and rewire with all new wiring.

After this, there is still the possibility the ignitor is dying a slow death and could need to be replaced. A dying ignitor will not change the reading on the coil tests, but faulty coils can mask a good or bad ignitor. There is a discharge test you can do for the ignitor, but you cant do it with faulty coils
    and sub spec voltage in the ignition circuit.

My first order of business would be to replace the coils, spark plug caps and fix the ignition wiring so you have the correct operating voltage in the system.

You will need to charge your battery too. Remove it, or disconnect it from the bike and charge at not greater than a 2 amp rate until the voltage reaches a minimum of 13 volts.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ok, looks like I'll be replacing the coils.....

What is available for this model? would anybody recommend aftermarket brands? or stick with suzuki?

I saw mention of Bandit coils being suitable? what years of Bandit would fit my '81 850gl ? With no mounting issues either, would be good. This is an electronic igniton too, no points or condensor setup.

I do have a repair manual for the bike too, buried somewhere. (We just moved into a new house cpl weeks ago) Is there an online pdf or something of the wiring diagram?

Do the coils get a direct 12v feed from the battery, or.... It must go through some other components/connectors for such a power drop. Would it be safe to actually give it a direct 12v feed from the battery, bypassing whereever else the wiring goes? That would be my main question, as I do have plenty of 16 guage wire I can hook up to bypass the voltage drop section/s

Apart from ebay, whoelse is online that can supply bike parts reasonably. JC Whitney?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Go Ebay and get any late model Kat or Bandit coils. They will bolt right on and be fairly new, low mileage. You can usually get a set for about $30. Wait until 3 seconds left in the auction and bid the most you want to spend. If you don't get that set there are plenty more most of the time.

Comment

Your gonna have to fight me for the coils on eBay Rum as I'm currently trying to get some replacements myself :twisted: For you though I wanna help ya out b/c my bike is running, although a little rich, but runs fine everyday. I'm just looking to replace mine since the boots on mine are cracked and I'm afraid one may fall off here soon. I think these would work for ya. I have to Thank Billy also for the inside help

Billy you think these would work for a GS seeing as how they are early 2000 model?

Comment

Either of those sets will work. The most you might have to do is shorten wires. If you do, on your first attempt make a trial cut so the wire will still be plenty long. This way you can see exactly how to cut the insulation when you cut the wire to length. There are usually plenty of coil sets to be had in the $30 range. Don't bid them up, just wait until the last few seconds. And watch the shipping charges. Bid on the ones that ship cheapest.

Comment

Think I'll try for the Kat ones. They look like they'll drop straight in. The lead caps on the other ones look different.

I can't believe there isn't a bike wrecker/junk yard in Las Vegas. wtf?

Thanks everybody for your help. I hope to have to old girl back on the road as soon as possible. Wife and I are down to one car, as hers has just totally crapped out (Which inspired me getting the GS running again) and Now the bike is down too. <sigh> Getting to work for the next week or two is gonna be fun.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X