Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Cyl heads

I hope this is an easy question, but we'll see. 8O

Here's the situation: The holes that the exhaust bolt to are stripped, I had heli-coils put in before, but they are not up to par anymore as I cannot tighten the exhaust on. I have another head from an '80 (the engine I want to put this on is an '81).

My question is:

If I swap heads do I need to take the cams and all those bits from the '80 or will the cams from the '81 work in the '80 head?

Thanks in advance to all.

All I can tell you is that I have heard that it is best to keep the cams and head together, that is, when you buy a used head, make sure the cams that were in the head to begine with are the ones you use. Don't know how that applies for aftermarket cams, but I heard this from a good mechanic friend of mine.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Jethro. I thought it would be a good idea. I just needed some reassurance.

I will keep the cams and head together.

Comment

I would not hesitate to put different cams in there. The things you don't want to mix are the cam caps that hold the cams inplace.

Hap

Comment

I agree. Never change cam caps. They are line bored to the head. The cams are no problem to change.

Comment

Working...
          X