electrical short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical short

i just installed my new clutch handle and something is shorting out the bike, this happened yesterday and it shorted but then i jiggled something under the tank and it started right up. but i jiggled it today and it doesnt come back. anyone have any ideas? it sounds liek it was coming from under the tank

Sometimes it seems like every single wire runs under the tank or in the headlight housing... :roll:

The problem is, that's pretty much true, could be a loose connector but I'm sure you'll have to pull the tank off to find it.

But we can narrow it down with some more information... Like when you try to start it and it doesn't start is the engine still turning over (just not firing)? Does any of the electrics work? What about blown fuses?

We first need to determine if it's a short (frayed wire, blown fuses), a bad connection (too much carbon on a connector, intermittant problems), or something like a badly connected or dead coil.

Comment

sometimes i get the power to go on but when i try to start it , it just shorts so im guessing it has to do with a wire between the battery and the coils? but it shorts so sometimes theres electric. before when it would shutoff i would be riding along and i would come to a stop and it would just shut off and most of the time i could start it back up again.

Comment

what exactly occurs when you say the bike shorts

Comment

Does your bike have an starter cut-out associated with the clutch lever? i.e. do you have to pull the clutch in to start the bike? If so, maybe you disturbed something when you fitted the new lever.

Comment

it might have a clutch cut out but ive never needed to do it before but now that i installed a new clutch maybe the cutout now works but when it shorts the whole bike cuts out , no more power at all and 3 hours later still no power

Comment

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT A SHORT WOULD WREAK MORE HAVOC THAN THE WHOE BIKE JUST CUTTING OUT..MY MONEY IS ON DIRTY CONTACTS SOMEWHERE AND THE FIRST PLACE I WOULD TRY CLEANING IS THE ROCKER KILL SWITCH.

Comment

whats the rocker kill switch?

Comment

it is the clutch kill switch, thats ridiculous, if i dont start it with the clutch depressed it kills the power for hours, how can i bypass that?

Comment

The rocker(kill) switch is on the right side grip, open 'er up have a look, the clutch sw. is under clutch lever pivot point, these two leads can be soldered together to eliminate switch

Comment

anyone wanna give me input on why it kills the power for so long and how i can reset it?

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                        anyone wanna give me input on why it kills the power for so long and how i can reset it?
                        that is not normal for ant switch--It is not a auto reset breaker--Il guess that the contactss are so dirty that the high resistance causes heat and then the contacts separate just far enough from expansion making it necessary to wait for it to cool--why not just take the switches out--clean the one on the right handle bar and then tell the guys what your results were--this is all speculation and you will not solve the problem unless you take(((((((ONE STEP AT A TIME))) dont try to by pass the clutch switch till you solve the not restaarting problem

Comment

contacts where? probably in the clutch switch because this has never happened before

Comment

"clean the one on the rright handle bar and then tell the guys what your results were--"

Comment

the rocker switch never gave me a problem i dont see why it would now but i will

Comment

Working...
                              X