Do carburetors get hot??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do carburetors get hot??

Here's the question: Do carburetors get hot?

I know you're thinking, "Well, why doesn't he just ride his bike for a little while and find out?"

I've got my 1982 GS85GLZ partially apart swapping a few things out, so the bike can't be started right now. While apart, I'm installing some extra lighting and to look nice, a couple of the wires have to come in contact with the carburetors. Obviously, if the carbs get hot, the insulation will melt.

I know the engine and pipes get pretty hot, but it now occurs to me I've never known if the carbs do too.

Please give me a "yes" or a "no." Sorry to come on with a question I should probably know the answer to

Yes, they get hotter than you think. I was riding my 1150 and reached down to touch the carb. It was very warm. MIke J

Comment

The carb bodies themselves cause no heat. Its the hot downstream airflow from the engine that warms the carb bodies. I doubt they will get hot enough to melt insulation as I have never known them to get too hot to hold a bare hand on indefinitely.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I appreciate the hasty replies, guys! Unfortunately, I've got two GS owners who have given me completely different answers

Would you let wires touch the carburetor or would you find a different mounting spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderchicken
          I appreciate the hasty replies, guys! Unfortunately, I've got two GS owners who have given me completely different answers

Would you let wires touch the carburetor or would you find a different mounting spot?
          I know that on the clutch cable that I replaced yesterday, there's an extra insulation around the cable that just happens to line up with where the cable goes inbetween the carbs. It wouldn't hurt anything at all to find something to add an extra layer of insulation to the wires... just in case.

Comment

Earl is correct, the heat comes from hot air off the engine. They don't get hot enough to melt wires or anything to that degree. If you don't believe it put a few miles on your bike and touch the carb bodies with your hands. Mike J

Comment

Loose wires are probably going to whip in the airflow causing them to rub and wear through. I see nothing to worry about if a wire touches a carb. I would use sufficient wire ties though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Thunderchicken

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You can see what I was working on here ----> http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=371634#371634

Comment

Working...
                X