electrex questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luke,

I am busy making a cliff right next to my house!

If you want, just bring your bike here and I will be happy to push it over when I am done. Of course, by the time I get done pushing some of MY vehicles over, it might not be a big enough fall.

ps. do you mind if I ride it a bit before I push it over? :roll:
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is my understanding that the earleir GS bikes had a 10 pole stator and at some poiny Suzuki switched to to a 12 or 14 pole unit. Are you sure that you have the correct model stator for your bike? Did it look like the original with the same number of poles sticking out?
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by lukehan
        I know my meters are ok, I have one analog and one digital, the digital does not allow you to remove the test leads and the analog only has one place for positive, one for negative. Both give the same results. Thanks for the suggestion.

Luke
        whoops you must have read that seconds before I deleted it! I reread your previous post and saw where you mentioned the two meters.

Hope this works out quickly for you Luke, I know how the charging system can drive you crazy.

Comment

well, it's been a while on this post, but I think I finally got things figured out. (I wish the rest of my life didn't get in the way of my motorcycles). I put my factory original stator back in and problem is solved! (I was just trying to beef up the stock system and it turns out the stock system works better!) Plenty of juice to charge up my battery. So I guess Electrex has it wrong with my bike, the package says the stator I have is for suzuki GS850 1979 (among other bikes) but I guess the windings are different on the Electrex model. So at this point I guess I am stuck with a basically brand new stator that is wrong for my bike. I am guessing I have had it too long to get any kind of return on it, esp. since it has been installed. Is anyone interested? I am assuming it is a good stator, just not for my bike (this is the 2nd electrex stator I got, both checked out fine except for the AC voltage between phases check which I now know is due to different windings, not bad stator) So, does anyone want to make me an offer? I can look to see what other bikes it says it should work with or offer more details/pictures if anyone wants them. I need to do some minor carb tweaking yet and some other minor things, but I think this project is basically done, now I can ride (with whats left of the season).

Luke

Comment

Luke,

Is that a G1 or a G2 stator? If it's a G2 (ESG020), I might make you an offer.

-Jon
            16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
            13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
            78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
            Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
            02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I am pretty sure it is the G1 stator. I got it from Bike Bandit. Looking closer at the Electrex website, it does list the G1 as only for GS850 1980 and up, I think they changed things a bit between 79 and 80, I know carbs are different and no kickstart and points to electronic ignition, maybe other things like electrics as well?

Luke

Comment

Working...
              X