Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil cooler install on 86' gs550L, yes or no????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler install on 86' gs550L, yes or no????

My parents live a little over an hour away from me and not haven ridinn the bike yet due to other issues, I bought an oil cooler to put on it because there are many red lights between here and there but I was told if I add the oil cooler, I will lose oil to the top of the heads?? Is this true? My Clymer manual shows that some bikes came factory with an oil cooler but mine didnt! I just dont want to lose oil pressure to the top of the heads or anywhere else for that matter! Thanks for any input in advance! Jake

The only thing you would really have to do is increase the amount of oil you put in the crankcase, I would assume the mounting instruction will tell you how much more, if not you fill up the oil as normal,run it for a min to fill the cooler & top up again.
    I can't see how it would starve the head of oil.
    Many, many people have done this, so as long as you fit it correctly, your good to go!
    My kat came standard with the oil cooler.

Comment

Your 550 has the plain brg crank Tell me if I'm wrong I think you need to use the late 1150 oil filter cover to fit a cooler

Comment

Ill always ask why do you need one. I realize that yoy are doing stop and go driving. Use synthetic oil for cooler running during warmer months. This is just an alternative. Have fun whatever you do.

Comment

The 650 has the plain brg crank as well, the inlet and outlet to the cooler are to the left & right of the oil filter cover(but at a lower point)I had not actually heard of useing the 1150 oilcover on the 550. But SqDancer I am certainly no expert on the 550, so if you have anything else that can help or assure jake8 please do.

Comment

oil cooler

Thanks for all the replies, they are greatly appreciated. I am planning on painting the bike this coming weekend and hopefully installing the oil cooler in a month or so. The oil cooler is off of an 83' 550E, the guy told me it will screw into the two plugs below my oil filter cover?? I dont know for sure but I guess I'll find out in a month or so! Thanks Again! Jake

Comment

Working...
            X