Just got a bike today 1983 GS450A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a bike today 1983 GS450A

Found it out of pure luck by my girl's neighbor's curb. It said something like "take me for parts." I checked it out and went to talk to him. He said all it needs is a battery and a headlight. He didnt want any money for it, but I felt bad for just taking it, so I threw him $20. Get this.... the guy had the key for it AND the title (which is clean). I think the bike has either 500 or 5000 miles on it, but I forgot which one. I had my buddy come and look at it. He said that the tank needs to be cleaned with some rust-remover and it needs new tires. We noticed that it didnt have it's left sidecover and that a couple of the light covers were cracked from it laying down. There's some rust on it from sitting in the guy's backyard for a few years, but mostly only on the exhaust. This is my first bike and I've never even ridden on one. I'm just hoping I can learn some stuff about it and to find out how common it is. I did a google search, but didnt really find any stats on this model. Anyone know what this thing is worth if it were in good running condition? Thanks, guys! Hope to get to know you all! -Mike

Welcome! I just fixed a 1981 GS450L for my self last year and I'm helping my friend with his !980 GS450L right now. They're good bikes. Ask any questions you have and I'll do my best to help. As for what the bike is worth running...figure between $600 to $800 depending on the overall condition. The $800 would be for something running well with very nice paint. The "A" is a little rare so I may be a bit off on the number.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Mike, you have a great bike there and they have been making a variation of it for many moons! The GS500 is basically the same engine, just bored (and stroked, I believe). There are a lot of them out there and you came to the right place. A lot of the members have them and wouldn't trade them for the world!

Hap

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far! I was just in awe that the guy had the title and that all it needs is a little sprucin'. Any idea where I can get the sidecover with the badge on it and get my tank clean? BTW... I live in Schaumburg, IL. -Mike

Comment

I was given my 81 550T for free also, just needing some sprucin. I am in the process of cleaning the tank out right now and the best method would be to use varsol / paint thinner (Ive even been told kerosene) with some steel shot BB'S in the tank. Drop it in the trunk of your car and go for a drive over a bumpy road .....or you could shake it by hand for awhile.

Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper84
            Thanks for the replies so far! I was just in awe that the guy had the title and that all it needs is a little sprucin'. Any idea where I can get the sidecover with the badge on it and get my tank clean? BTW... I live in Schaumburg, IL. -Mike

Ebay is your friend for parts....for tank cleaning try using the "search"
            option (top of page) you will get lots of solutions.

Good luck with the new ride and welcome to the forum.

Comment

your bike I believe is an automatic, 2 speed. I worked on a cm400A honda for a friend yesterday and found it to be fun to drive, especially in traffic where you don't need to work a clutch. If yours is n0t an automatic then the sidepanels may be different.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Before anything else...get the shop manuals for it. You'll find a lot of them on Ebay.
                1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

The GS450 is a very reliable bike. Don't be discouraged if you have some difficulty getting her back on the road. You have a fair amount of work to do if it's been sitting for years, but you'll have a great machine when you're done for practically pennies in comparison to a newer bike.
                  I've restored two non-running GS450 bikes (mine and my friend's).
                  After all is done you'll probably end up spending between $400 and $600 to get her in good (and safe) running order.

See my post in the following thread about getting a bike that's been sitting back on the road: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...903&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by snark
                    Before anything else...get the shop manuals for it. You'll find a lot of them on Ebay.
                    The 450GA manuals AFAIK are a little more scarce. I am willing to bet the other 450's manuals will help in many matters, but there is gonna be some stuff that plain won't be in there for the GA model.

Just did a search and none on Ebay or Amazon. I am sure they are out there, you'll just have to look.

Comment

I have a 85 GS450A, that I am currently restoring. If you need some parts I can look and see what I have. Also if you need assistance from a manual I have the original Suzuki 450A repair manual. I can make copies or scans and send them to you. Just pray that your shift fork and dog gear are in good condition. Mine is worn so bad it will not shift in to the high gear. I am currently paying a machine shop ALOT of money to fix them b/c the parts are hard to find and discontinued from Suzuki.

Comment

ss2wheel is a motorcycle salvage place. I fixed up my 81 gs450l with parts from there...

Comment

ss2wheel Salvage Bike Parts

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                          ss2wheel is a motorcycle salvage place. I fixed up my 81 gs450l with parts from there...
                          For what it's worth..., I ordered a Pulse Generator from these "ss2wheel" people on 12/16/06 and have still not recv'd. it yet (1/3/07). It's apparently a husband/wife operation. They will not answer my emails and will no longer answer my phone calls after I called once asking for a tracking #. Be careful in ordering anything from these people.

DW

Comment

Good Show...

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                            I am currently paying a machine shop ALOT of money to fix them b/c the parts are hard to find and discontinued from Suzuki.
                            You are following in the footsteps of many GSers before you. We usually don't look at how much we could get back out of it if we sold it. We fix them because we love them and they deserve to LIVE.

Good on you. :-D

And, Anonymous, congratulations on the great find....

Comment

Working...
                            X