Clear All

start it without a key

Here is something strange happenning in my 82 GS550LZ:

When you look in the fuse box, there are four fuses:
    15amp main
    10amp headlight
    10amp something
    10amp something else

When you move the headlight fuse up so that it contacts both the headlight prongs and the main prongs (or move the main down, I suppose), the whole bike lights up as if the key was turned. It can be started too. The fuses also fit very nicely that way, so the bike can be driven normally.

Anybody else notice this?

At least if I lose the key away from home i can get back... I sure hope I don't regret telling people how to steal my bike :?

Enos

You don't say how you would get at your fuse panel with the seat in place. On the 1980 GS1100E bikes, the side covers are held in place by the edges of the seat (maybe you can access the panel by loosening only the bottom of the side cover?).

It was interesting to hear this. Perhaps it is time to use the steering lock.

Patrick

Comment

Hmm, that means the headlight fuse always has power but the main fuse only has power when the key is turned on. So, powering the main fuse starts the bike? What a sad state of affairs... Thank goodness my bike only has one fuse and you'd have to figure out the wiring in the headlight bucket to steal it. Plus I lock the stearing so my friends can't hide my bike on me. :roll:

Perhaps this thread should be removed so that search engines don't stumble upon it. Although I imagine we can trust the people who have read the thread.

Comment

Unfortunately the side cover can be easily taken off with the seat still on, and the steering lock doesn't work. The lock itself works, but the piece of metal that it's supposed to lock against is broken off (can't imagine how, but I got the bike this way). So yes, my bike can be just driven away without a key.

I was thinking of putting a small combo lock on the fuse box just to make sure

I wonder if this happens in any other bike. Did they change the wiring between the 80-82 bikes? If not, I'd be surprised no one noticed.

Comment

cutout switch

Enos

I am sure that you could add an in-line switch under the tank or somewhere discrete that people would not know to look for if you were concerned about unauthorized use of your bike. Alternatively, you could replace the broken metal tab to make your steering lock operative again.

Regardless, it is good to know about the fuse by-pass potential and I am glad that you posted this.

Patrick

Comment

if yir worried about someone ridin off with yir bike they got some cheapo front disk locks from krypto

Comment

Speaking from experience never trust a steering lock. All you need to do is slip a short bar over one handlebar give it a firm yank and snap goes the lock. In my paranoia I've fitted a second kill switch under the seat, that and a disc loclk give me peace of mind.

Comment

who cares about a kill switch? u can still roll it onto a pick up and do what ever u wish with it later

Comment

Currently I park next to shinier and much more expensive bikes (new crotch rockets and big twins). I don't think my bike would be a big target for thieves when they have that selection. But there are :twisted: people walking around that would probably love to take any bike and go joy riding for an hour and end up crashing it.

I know that either myself or other people I let ride my bike would forget that the disk lock is on...

Comment

My bike quit on me and it appeared to be a faulty ignition switch. While looking at the schematic, I noticed that all I had to do to power up the bike was to hook a short wire from the positive post of the battery to the flasher for the turn signal. This would put +12V to all the places that the key does. Had I know this before, I could have save myself having to push the bike about 3/4 mile to get it home.
                    :roll:
                    Terry

Comment

Enos:
                      The disc locks available today appear to have a bungee cord that is connected to the lock. When you put the lock on your bike you pull the bungee cord up to your handle bars and hook it on your throttle so you can't forget. Now all I have to do is drill a hole through my disc so I can use one...

Steve

Comment

does anyone have any methods of stopping someone from tipping the bike over? i understand u cant stop someone from bullrushing it but its a little too easy to just release the kick stand let gravity do the rest.

Comment

big bump, can anyone answer my question?

Comment

I read in another post you can put kryptonite anchors into the ground. Perhaps if you had two if them you could tie the bike down like it was an airplane (some airplanes will lift off of the ground if there is too much wind so they have to be tied down)

Steve

Comment

Maybe its just time to move to a safer part of town?

Comment

Working...
                              X