start it without a key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ice109
    does anyone have any methods of stopping someone from tipping the bike over? i understand u cant stop someone from bullrushing it but its a little too easy to just release the kick stand let gravity do the rest.
    You can chain/cable lock your front wheel to the centrestand. Get a chain that is just the right length.

This won't stop it from being deliberately knocked over sideways but it's more secure than anything else.

Kim

Comment

Re: start it without a key

Originally posted by enos
      Here is something strange happenning in my 82 GS550LZ:

When you look in the fuse box, there are four fuses: ZAP

When you move the headlight fuse up so that it contacts both the headlight prongs and the main prongs (or move the main down, I suppose), the whole bike lights up as if the key was turned. It can be started too. The fuses also fit very nicely that way, so the bike can be driven normally.

Anybody else notice this?
      never steal a bike before ? ))

last week I was working on my 750 (removing carbs, etc...), than reinstalling all in the frame and want to try the result

but I forget my key at home
      no problem, I just put a wire between the start relay and a fuse (I always forgot witch fuse, so I've to try until the lights neutral and oil are on ), then press the start button, it's done

previous time I did it, it's with the bike of a friend, a policeman

he lost his key when shopping and the other one was at home (no steering lock)

he looks very surprised how easy it is to do ))

V++
      Rackham

Comment

i wonder if the same effect can be achieved on a car, is there any part of a car that is always on?

Comment

odd bend

Hi

I think it is very true that locks only keep honest people out. If someone wants your bike badly enough, they will get it.

If you are really concerned about theft, you can get a wireless video camera for about $US 100 in an electronics store to monitor your bike. As well, you could put an alarm on it.

As to car electrics, you must have never seen a slide hammer being used (in a movie) to remove an ignition module. Rent Gone in 60 Seconds. A classic film for the enthusiast.

Patrick

Comment

We get great movies up here eh Patrick?

Comment

movies

D

Are you up in the great white north? That was a good fun film and pretty eye-opening in terms of what people can do to take your car.

I get pretty attached to my cars and motorcycles. They have to be fun. Life is too short to drive boring cars or bikes.

Patrick

Comment

Like the BMW ad says, "I don't polish my bike, I wash it." Nobody steals a dirty bike. The shiny ones go first.

Comment

Working...
                X