Tire Size for 1980 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size for 1980 GS550E

Anyone know the tire size for a 1980 GS550E? Also, I do alot of city riding with the occasional 200 mile ride here and there. Anyone wanna recommend some tires for me? Thanks!!!

tire sizes

I have a 1978 GS550. I bought it fairly cheaply ($450) and rode about 2000 miles on the tires it had on it. I replaced both tires with Chen Shing (sp?), bought from Dennis Kirk. I'll go check the sizes and get back to you. These tires are what some elitists would call "rim protectors," but they suit my needs just fine. Not a "go-fast" type of guy, and dragging pegs has never been a big goal of mine.

Comment

thanks so much. Ya i got my 80 gs550e for 616 bucks. The guy thought there were all these problems with it but there weren't. He said it wouldn't start. well there was no gas in the tank. he said there was a knocking coming from the engine, well there was barely any oil in it. he said it revved high...well the choke was pulled a quarter out. anyway. it's been indoors pretty much it's entire life. all it needs is a side cover that is missing. but anyway. thanks for your help and i'll check back.

Comment

IRC DuoTour 310
        I paid 110 for the pair and they work great in the rain and come in 17 inch sizes for these older small bikes
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

TIRE SIZE FOR 1980 GS550

I HAVE A 1985 GS550L
          CAME WITH 100/90X16 FRONT
          AND 130/90X16 REAR
          IRC DATURA'S WHEN I GOT IT
          JUST PUT 2 NEW TIRES ON IT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO
          BEFORE THE GS RALLY IN JUNE
          CHEN-SINGS FROM JC WHITNEY
          PAID ABOUT $75 A PIECE
          100/19X16 FRONT
          UPED THE REAR TO 140/90X16

RIDES FINE

GARY

Comment

for other resonably priced, (but GOOD rubber) check out the battlax bt45's. that's what skreemer and I have on our 550's. I've never run out of traction ;-)
            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Question on tire sizes...

What is the difference in these two sizes? What does it all mean?

100/90X16 MT90HB16

I see the 90 and the 16 and think that they will be able to fit on the same rim. Is that statement true or not. Learn me something here. I will admit when I have no knowledge on a subject. I can't know everything... or can I. Just joking, gs riders. Where are my tire educated gs riders at to answer this one? Help me out here. Peace

Comment

I just put on two new tires a couple of weeks ago on my 1980 GS550E. They are Kenda Challenger's. The front takes a 100x90x19 and the rear is a 110x90x18. Pretty reasonably priced at about $65 for each.

Don't try anything bigger on the front, the dealer ordered a 110x90x19 and I couldn't get a sheet of paper between the fender and the tire. I don't know if you could go to a 120x90x18 on the rear, you wouldn't have much room if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by jimg
                  I just put on two new tires a couple of weeks ago on my 1980 GS550E. They are Kenda Challenger's. The front takes a 100x90x19 and the rear is a 110x90x18.
                  I have dunlop D404's in the same size's listed above. Don't try to go any wider on the rear either, it won't help.

Comment

Avon Roadrunners or Metzeler ME880s.

Comment

Working...
                    X