GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G

Hi can anyone tell me the degree of difficulty in converting a 1980 GS1000G shaftie to a chain dive ?. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the hardest) how does this job rate or is it even possible. I did use the Forum search but couldn't find anything.

thanks...............Jack

Hi

I give it a 10

Shafties is best.

1000GLx 8) 8) 8)

Comment

I'd give it an eleven...

Comment

More like a 25.7.

The easiest way I can think of is to swap an entire chain drive engine into your frame. Then swap a chaindrive swingarm and rear end onto your frame....

But Wait, Theres more! Your shafty frame has a different swingarm pivot mount than the chain drive bikes. So that means locating a donor frame from a chainy and cutting out the swingarm pivot area, and using that to replace the swingarm pivot on your shafty. Of course to do this right, you'd have to weld your frame to a jig to makesure nothing moves while you hack out the old and replace with the new.

Or you could just buy an E model.

Comment

Just buy another bike!!!!!!! It's not pratical You would have to cut the complete rear swing arm mount off & weld a chain swing arm on plus trying to mount a sprocket

Comment

It's very possible- if you are willing to throw a huge amount of money at it. Considerably more than a used "E" model.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X