Sloshy Front Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloshy Front Forks

Since I am a newbie with this stuff, please bare with me. My front end on my bike is really really....springy or sloshy i guess is the word. It is so much, in fact, that it is displacing the weight from my rear and I have almost gotten into a couple accidents so far because of the rear tire skidding because there has been too much weight on the front end.

So I guess my question is this. What should I do? I have never changed fork oil before. Could this be the problem? If so how do i change it ? do i need to drain it first or just top it off? it doesn"t appear to be leaking anything. thanks for all help in advance.

Progressive front fork springs, new oil (old oil doesn't dampen as well) and maybe some spacers to preload the fork springs, if needed.

~Adam

Comment

Know where I can get a good deal on some of those fork springs? Or a good website in general to order parts such as those? Also, how does one change them? Is it a simple process? Thanks for helping out a newbie!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tyler6453
        Know where I can get a good deal on some of those fork springs? Or a good website in general to order parts such as those? Also, how does one change them? Is it a simple process? Thanks for helping out a newbie!!!
        try E-Bay for springs or http://www.patternparts.net

changing them is easy take off bolts on top and take out springs and replace then tighten back up, you will have to remove the handle bars

Comment

I got mine from Bike Bandit, but I've since seen them for cheaper on ebay and another website referenced on this site - do a search for progressive springs on the site and a ton of information will come up.

What kind of bike do you have? Most installs of progressive fork springs require spacers - mine in an '80/'81 require a 3 inch spacer - rather than use tubing, a mechanic fabricated customs as I didn't want the springs pinched but this may have been overkill. The progressive springs I purchased had a list of bikes and the recommended spacers and are really, really simple to install.

Of course, I had a heck of a time as I also changed gaskets, o-rings, bushings, etc. and took them apart and had a tough time finding some of the parts I wanted to replace, but this site is an invaluable resource.

Comment

Before you go through the expense of changing out the springs try changing the fork seals and fork oil. Use something like Honda fork oil which is cheap and you won't have to use much. Once I changed out the muck which was the old oil and cleaned the internals and replaced the oil and seals, the forks are fine.

Comment

anyone know the size of the drain screw on a gs550e 1980? i lost mine while changing the fork oil. i put another screw in there but it doesn't quite fit correct and i'm afraid it will start leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by tyler6453
                anyone know the size of the drain screw on a gs550e 1980? i lost mine while changing the fork oil. i put another screw in there but it doesn't quite fit correct and i'm afraid it will start leaking.

Part# 02112-04063 Desc SCREW 4X6 Price .93
                also has a gasket
                Part# 51183-33030 Desc DRAIN PLUG GASK Price 2.99

Comment

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I ordered that dumb screw and gasket. i changed the fork oil and my suspension is so much better now. no more sticking or dropping. i'm going to do it properly when i get that screw and gasket in the mail and flush the forks with kerosene next time.

Comment

Originally posted by andys116
                    What kind of bike do you have? Most installs of progressive fork springs require spacers - mine in an '80/'81 require a 3 inch spacer - rather than use tubing, a mechanic fabricated customs as I didn't want the springs pinched but this may have been overkill. The progressive springs I purchased had a list of bikes and the recommended spacers and are really, really simple to install.
                    lol spacers? when i stripped mine down i found a 17mm socket in each leg
                    it will have to do for now as im desperate to get the bike on the road

Comment

Working...
                    X